Sony Alpha 57 is no joke Canon and Nikon folks!!

Honestly, there is plenty of headroom to upgrade any entry level camera with either Canon, Nikon or Sony without needing to go to pro glass and body. For the vast majority of consumer, these will be good enough and way beyond their abilities.

It's the technique, not the gear right ?

Kolia said:
Look at prices...

They aren't any cheaper. A mid range Sony is right around the price of a mid range Nikon or canon.

The a57 kit is going for $750. That's right around the same range as other companies high entry level. The a77 is about the price of everyone mid range. Don't act like the cameras are such a steal because they have phase detection in live view. They aren't bad. If you love them great. I don't.

I think in my case it is. I picked up my A33 with the kit lens for $550. No DSLR in that price range can touch it. But you're right, once you go beyond that prices start to level out.

Honestly, there is plenty of headroom to upgrade any entry level camera with either Canon, Nikon or Sony without needing to go to pro glass and body. For the vast majority of consumer, these will be good enough and way beyond their abilities.

Agreed. I think it's funny so many non "pros" use that argument. Pro level equipment I would guess is a smaller market than consumer like anything else.

Yes. A real pro can shoot action in low light with an iPhone !!! :lmao:

But yeah, if you give a great photographer an iPhone and a complete n00b a medium format highend camera, the photographer will come back with the much better pictures.

All black or all white huh ? Surprising coming from a photographer...

Well, once you start paying for your own living expenses and that of your household we can revisit the question.

Black and white was your example, I was simply demonstrating how ridiculous your were being. We can revisit the question now if you'd like. I'm a degreed Electrical Engineer and Software Developer whom has owned his own home and cars for a while now... all paid for by me. Way to not make assumptions.

I guess having myself worked for an F1 team, the F1 example didn't feel so far fetched...

Regardless of the activity, pro level equipment are rarely appropriate for the average enthusiast. In photography in particular, I'll agree the pro gear is better and significant. But as an engineer, you can appreciate the concept of "good enough" for a given application.

Assuming that a path to FF and pro glass applies for everybody is wrong. Building up do FF through APS-C gear is actually a big waste of money considering the availability of used equipment.

I don't really know what the big deal is with this pocket wizard stuff. All the sony TTL's are wireless, as are the Metz, certain Sigma units and Nissin.

Why do you need an overpriced pocket wizard when Sony inherited Minolta's wireless TTL protocol? Is there something I'm missing?
Yes...a broader view.
Light systems like Profoto Air series are PW compatible. Sony isn't even compatible with the Skyport system on the elinchrom. Metz, Sigma...and Nissin flashes Yeeech!
Why PW? Cuz it's the industry standard. You buy it once...and just use it for decades. It's even compatible with my Sekonic lightmeter.

I don't really know what the big deal is with this pocket wizard stuff. All the sony TTL's are wireless, as are the Metz, certain Sigma units and Nissin.

Why do you need an overpriced pocket wizard when Sony inherited Minolta's wireless TTL protocol? Is there something I'm missing?
Yes...a broader view.
Light systems like Profoto Air series are PW compatible. Sony isn't even compatible with the Skyport system on the elinchrom. Metz, Sigma...and Nissin flashes Yeeech!
Why PW? Cuz it's the industry standard. You buy it once...and just use it for decades. It's even compatible with my Sekonic lightmeter.

Back in my day, we used knobs! Dabnabbit all this new fangled technology!

Still, I think it's funny that people complain about Sony's proprietary stuff when dealing with Pocketwizard, which is a proprietary technology. Seems like there really should be an open protocol for this sort of thing.

I don't see where sony's actually even save money. Really all you get extra is fps. Most shooters don't need high fps.

Do some more research and then come back and you can add better insight to this debate.

Yes...a broader view.

Still, I think it's funny that people complain about Sony's proprietary stuff when dealing with Pocketwizard, which is a proprietary technology. Seems like there really should be an open protocol for this sort of thing.

IKR!

Like Canon and Nikon dont want you to use their stuff instead of off brand.

You just need an adapter. And most people dont need a flagship camera. Do you need a 1dx or a d4 to do what you do? But they are making steps in the right direction. Sony make good options and the competition will only make your camera brands have to sell there bodies for less. So you would still benefit here. So whats the problem?
Nope but I use a D700 with an eye on upgrading to a D800 when I am able to. Why take a step on the wrong direction if you will end up having to ditch the entire system once you go pro? The "image quality" of a camera is a tiny part of the whole equation. Most cameras get very similar image quality.

Saving a few hundred to get a Sony is a great way to waste thousands later if you plan to go pro. Most people don't need a flagship camera. Most people aren't pro. Telling the Nikon and Canon folk that a Sony Alpha can keep up is ridiculous. My brother uses a NEX-7. He gets great results in a small camera...but is he pro? No. The Camera is a small toy that he brings out when he wants to have fun. Does it take great pictures? Yes. Can it be used in a professional context? No.

Speaking about 4/3

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/0...ess-including-14mm-F2-0-for-Micro-Four-Thirds

Yes...a broader view.

IKR!

All of this could be done with OSC. Heck. Everything could be done with OSC. Lens control and feedback, flashes and strobes, TTL, light meters, remote camera control. Everything could be interconnected in a non-proprietary way over multiple network modes. Lenses could be connected to cameras via USB. Flashes via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

But then everyone would know that Pocketwizard radios cost about $60 in retail parts, and that what you're paying for is the privledge of using their protocol.

Last edited:
DiskoJoe said:
Do some more research and then come back and you can add better insight to this debate.

I don't need more research. There's absolutely no real reason to own a Sony.

Kolia said:

To a degree. I can't agree with you in glass. Everyone needs pro glass. But other than that none of it matters that much for the average user

IKR!

All of this could be done with OSC. Heck. Everything could be done with OSC. Lens control and feedback, flashes and strobes, TTL, light meters, remote camera control. Everything could be interconnected in a non-proprietary way over multiple network modes. Lenses could be connected to cameras via USB. Flashes via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

But then everyone would know that Pocketwizard radios cost about $60 in retail parts, and that what you're paying for is the privledge of using their protocol.

comparing sony to PW isn't realistic. just the PW hyper sync feature that allows warp speed shutter with any manual studio strobe or manual flash/speedlight at full power alone prevents one from comparing PW to sony.

on a side note and without going through this whole thread, are we talking a pro sony camera that came out FF, or no?

Most reactions

Back