sony alpha a37 or nikon d3100 for my first dslr???

shents

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I have had my heart set on a nikon d3100 Everytime i go into a shop they say I am making a mistake and should get the sony a37

Last edited:
I would get the Sony. It has more features that are useful. In body stabilization so all lenses will be stabilized and you can shoot lower speeds. Flipout screen, nice if you have to shoot over your head orlow to the ground. The old Konica Minolta lenses will work, some are very reasonable. Focus peaking if you use a manual lens, electronic viewfinder, quiter shutter because no fliping mirror. I am sure I missed something but Sony IMO leads all in technology.

Thank you so much for your help, and taking the time to reply as someone who has little knowledge on cameras and operating the dslr's any help is great

An important feature most overlook is ergonomics, go to a store and pick up each one. See how they feel in your hands.

Now the other thing to also look at is the available accessories.

Why do you like the Nikon ?
Hey I am not really informed on camera's and have based it all on hours of reviews comparisons on the net also photography websites, Its hard starting out on a budget as I want to choose wisely, Because of timing I have to get one sooner rather then save up more, I have actually been in the shop and held both camera's both felt fine, Also I have found the shops are always trying to push a certain product so I am never sure to trust their judgement I'd sooner ask a photograper, so here I am, But this is proving hard as you all use such a variety of camera's I guess,I am going to see the great wall, terracotta army and feed the pandas I wont do it twice so I want the best shots I can get. I would also like to use it for arty shot's ref for my job, macro, I have a keen interest in photography but don't proclaim to be anything yet, This site is so inspiring

Last edited:
I don't intend this to be a Nikon / Sony pissing match, however I strongly recommend that the OP look at the list of features of both of the cameras that he is considering and make up his own mind as to what features are important to him and what are not. I realize you have stated that you aren't fully informed on camera features so please feel free to ask on this board and people will be glad to help you understand what they mean. I say this because I personally don't consider some of the features mentioned to be true features, and I'll stop there.

Also, whatever choice you make don't make the mistake of waiting until the last moment. Give yourself a few weeks and several hundred shots to make sure everything works properly, it isn't going to break, and you have time to get it back from a warranty service center if it does break.

I don't intend this to be a Nikon / Sony pissing match, however I strongly recommend that the OP look at the list of features of both of the cameras that he is considering and make up his own mind as to what features are important to him and what are not. I realize you have stated that you aren't fully informed on camera features so please feel free to ask on this board and people will be glad to help you understand what they mean. I say this because I personally don't consider some of the features mentioned to be true features, and I'll stop there.

Also, whatever choice you make don't make the mistake of waiting until the last moment. Give yourself a few weeks and several hundred shots to make sure everything works properly, it isn't going to break, and you have time to get it back from a warranty service center if it does break.

Thanks, because I am still learning and trying to understand the features it so hard to understand what I am buying I have been looking for a few weeks now, I know I am not to bothered about video as a feature , Just great pics with the ability buy diff lenses in the future,also quality of lenses and ascessories, reliable tried and tested, I reviewed the d3100 against the d3200 and also the d5100, and the write up on the d3100 was still really good so I felt it wasn't worth the price jump unless it was a d7000, It's a lot to take in but I know I will enjoy learning, I didn't feel there was a lot on the net about the sony a37 so I wanted to keep an open mind, Ill get a zoom lense when I get either or... arghhhhh! :)

Last edited:

Thank you :), I have been looking at this site and dpreview amongst others I joined photo.net and this site in the hope the talented lot would be more insightful, MAYBEEE I am just ruddy over thinking everything and reviewing my self into a computer coma! :) My problem is I am a perfectionist

Thank you :), I have been looking at this site and dpreview amongst others I joined photo.net and this site in the hope the talented lot would be more insightful, MAYBEEE I am just ruddy over thinking everything and reviewing my self into a computer coma! :) My problem is I am a perfectionist

Don't rely on those side by sides at all. A lot of the information is misleading and out of place.

My 2 cents... The A37 completely blows the D3100 out of the water. The sony has the better focusing system for stills and video, more dynamic range, higher fps. In body stabilization which means any lens you get will be stabilized, not something the other brands offer.

Thanks, because I am still learning and trying to understand the features it so hard to understand what I am buying I have been looking for a few weeks now, I know I am not to bothered about video as a feature , Just great pics with the ability buy diff lenses in the future,also quality of lenses and ascessories, reliable tried and tested, I reviewed the d3100 against the d3200 and also the d5100, and the write up on the d3100 was still really good so I felt it wasn't worth the price jump unless it was a d7000, It's a lot to take in but I know I will enjoy learning, I didn't feel there was a lot on the net about the sony a37 so I wanted to keep an open mind, Ill get a zoom lense when I get either or... arghhhhh! :)

the a37 replaced the a35 and a33. So look into those 2 and you'll have a good idea.

Hi shents - Like cosmonaut and ConradM, I recommend the Sony A37. Even as a beginner, you will find the faster multiple shot frame rate and the tilt screen LCD to be very useful. And the Konica/Minolta/Sony lens system has been around for decades, so they are indeed reliable, tried and tested.

If you don't mind shopping at Amazon Warehouse Deals, the A37's big brother, the A57 is on sale there for £396.18 (free shipping in the UK).

Don't rely on those side by sides at all. A lot of the information is misleading and out of place.

+1 This is absolutely true. The only side-by-side site I use is camerasize.com - hard for them to get physical dimensions wrong. Other than that, these sites are not very useful.

Best of the holidays,

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I know it can be tough but really there aren't any just plain bad cameras out there. I agree to study the features and which you think you might use the most. Nikon is know for their superior image quality and Sony for thinking outside the box. As some of us photographers can get into heated battles of my cameras better than yours and actually scare someone away from a perfectly fine system by joking around.. But I remember when I first went digital and the pain staking task of choosing. It really went down to what features I thought were important to me at the time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back