Sony Alpha Lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by sdgmusic, Apr 11, 2007.

1. sdgmusic

sdgmusic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am pretty dumb yes.

I am looking at getting the Sony Alpha 100 however I have a question about the lens that it comes with. Normally most lenses have 2 rubber rings, one for zoom one for focus yes? well This only has one ring, I may not be seeing the other, but I am right in thinking that there is no manual focus ring?

Take a look:

Sony Alpha 18-70 (kit lens)
    Sony Alpha 18-200

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    don't know that lens, but to me it seems there is a second (shorter) ring at the very front of it. Could that be manual focus?

3. Zatodragon

Zatodragon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, the very front of the lens where you mount your filters is the manual focus ring, just like the lens that came with the 5D and 7D.

The Alpha is a blast to use and performs very well! You won't be disappointed.

4. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    great camera! the front focus ring is plastic by the way, thats why you dont notice it... nice wide lens too

5. sdgmusic

sdgmusic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    OK thanks guys. to the ones who own this camera. have you used this 18-70 lens for portraits? is it good for that? they have a 50mm f1.4 and a 28mm f2.8. these are listed on sony's website as wide angle, but i know that wide angle is not such a great idea for portaits or headshots

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some lenses (thins one, and the Canon 18-55 kit lens, for example) are not designed with manual focusing in mind. The designers figure that the vast majority of people who use this lens will very rarely use manual focus, so they don't give it a nice wide ring to focus with.

Take a look at expensive 'pro level' lenses and you will see that most of them have nice wide focus rings because that is a feature that people who buy those lenses want.

Obviously it's a generalization and doesn't fit everyone.

7. zioneffect564

zioneffect564 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've used it for a couple portraits..

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77854

but the 50mm is going to be great for portraits..the 28 you can to some but you'll get a lot better results from the 50

8. Frequent Traveler

Frequent Traveler TPF Noob!

Hey Sean -

The 50 F1.4 is rated very well - i have a 50 F1.7 (OS) and it is excellent bordering on superb. Also, it will be ~75mm on your Alpha. I can't add anything RE: the 28mm.

You will absolutely be overjoyed with the Sony Alpha. Remember Sony's dSLR division is deeply influenced by and employs former Minolta engineers.

As for Pro lenses (as Big Mike mentioned), "Sony" has only a few for now, BUT Minolta had quite a few and would be referenced as "G" lenses and can be found in many places. They will work perfectly on your Alpha.
    Also, keep in mind that Sony has Zeiss lenses as well though for the moment they are spendy.

Enjoy the buzz!

frank

9. sdgmusic

sdgmusic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Basically I am looking for an all purpose lens that can also do portraits and headshots. The kits available in my area for the Alpha are:
    (Prices in CAN$)

$899 - Alpha w/ Sony 18-70
    $1199 - Alpha w/ Sony 18-70 & 75-300
    $1299 - Alpha w/ Sigma 17-70 (f2.8)
    $1299 - Alpha w/ Sigma 18-200
    $1349 - Alpha w/ Sony 18-200

10. Zatodragon

Zatodragon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The kit with Sigma 17-70 would be my best guess for nice portraits and headshots. The f/2.8 will allow for that nice blurred background with focus on the subject. Plus i have 2 people i know with that lens that just rant and rave about it.

11. Frequent Traveler

Frequent Traveler TPF Noob!

Though it is on the more expensive side, i would likely go with the Sigma as well. From all accounts, given a good copy, it is a very good lens - sharp, beautiful colors and nice focal range. I would also start shopping the older Minolta AF lenses (50mm F1.7 for example) before the Sony machine comes online full-strength with their new cameras this Fall - while prices are going up now, i suspect they will skyrocket then for sure.

Enjoy the reality of in-body stabilization where EVERY lens becomes vibration resistant!

frank

12. sdgmusic

sdgmusic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I picked up the 18-70 lens, and am soon aquiring a minolta maxxum 50mm f1.4, I think between the 2 I'll be set for a while, what do you think?