The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
with specs that astound (if the camera lives up to it) and price that dampens my enthusiasm a bit.

Sony a7R II Alpha Mirrorless Digital Camera a7RII Camera Body B H

upload_2015-6-10_19-37-12.png

I used the A7s the other night and it was enjoyable but a 12 MP image is smaller and a bit more constricting than I'm accustomed to.
If the A7 R II has 42 M and high iso capability, that may be my next camera body.

With that camera and the 55 1.8 Zeiss lens, I'll be in heaven.

It has a backlit full frame sensor. I'm VERY curious about high ISO performance.

And internal 4K recording. Did the A7ii even have that ?

Unfortunately still a VERY LOUD shutter (boo!!!). But it has electronic first curtain, 50% reduced vibrations, and optionally a pure electronic shutter that probably comes with a very fast readout, since online tests state video rolling shutter / jello effect is very low. I guess thats kind of tolerable.

Thats about all the issues that camera seem to have right now, just a loud shutter.

And probably still the awful lossy compression of the RAW data.

Also, unfortunately, Leica just published the damn. most. perfect. compact camera ever !

Can someone please help me understand what a "backlit sensor" is/does?

If only Sony would stop the the compressed raw nonsense I'd be all over this camera.

Can someone please help me understand what a "backlit sensor" is/does?
I means that the photodiodes, the light sensitive part of the photosite, due to technological limits, have to be written first to the sensor.

Every other circuitry has thus to be located ABOVE the photodiodes and thus blocks the light. Also, every layer of circuitry makes the photosites sink lower and lower and reduces the light actually hitting the photodiode as well.

Backlit means the last step is to remove all silicium below the photosensors, then turn them around. All circuitry is now BELOW the photodiode, and the photodiode is now on the surface.

Also of course one can go "wild" with the circuitry and add as much as one wants now; its no more in the way.

Uh-hu.

Let me guess - either price or fixed lens or both.

500 bucks on ebay in a few years you just have to wait it out.

42Mp? I find the 36 on my D800 excessive much of the time, and while storage is cheap the huge files really chew through a hard-drive's capacity! Of course the fact that they couldn't be bothered to install an optical viewfinder on a >$3K camera makes me wonder too...

42Mp? I find the 36 on my D800 excessive much of the time, and while storage is cheap the huge files really chew through a hard-drive's capacity! Of course the fact that they couldn't be bothered to install an optical viewfinder on a >$3K camera makes me wonder too...
still just shoot 24 mp, and as of late have been using the lower sized jpegs more than anything. The extra mp is helpful when i am doing serious cropping. But that is usually because i am using the wrong lens, can't reach, etc etc. to start with. Higher mp, i would like for those reasons but also the occasional landscape open street/building shots or the chance of something going to large print etc. Most of my abstracts or simple subject frames or snaps are fine with low quality jpegs (i hate to call them low quality though as they are actually pretty good for the purpose they serve). That said, i still shoot with 3,5,8,16 mp cameras too so i guess i would have to define need better.. Not often i print over a standard 8x10, not so sure i would see much difference.

More megapixels is great for cropping,especially us birders but boy when you get one that need little to no cropping,its a huge file.I see some of those D8xx at full res just cracks me up how big they are.I think 24 MP is a sweet spot.JMO

Last edited:
More megapixels is great for cropping,especially us birders but boy when you get one that need little to no cropping,its a huge file.I see some of those D8xx at full res just cracks me up how big they are.I think 24 MP is a sweet spot.JMO
Except if you have a new 5ds and have to crop in on the horrible image it produces.
[emoji79]

using tapatalk.

I wouldn't know and for three thousand plus,I rather have the Sony or the Nikon D750 with a Tamron 150-600.Selling My 6D soon and saving up a little for a little while but in the meantime just love my Pentax and sony sensor.

Cant wait for this back lite technology to trickle down to other sensors, the info I got so far about this technology is mixed.
Currently the only camera that has this technology is Samsung NX1, Tony Northrop claims he doesn't see the NX1 sensor better then other leading sensors in the market yet other reviewers say that it actually works.
I dont think Sony would invest money in something that doesn't work so I am very excited and hope to see a 24MP back lite sensor in a Nikon FX camera soon.

Most reactions

Back