Sony announces A900 (Full-Frame)

Does anyone know if the camera has an option for smaller RAW files.

24.6 MP sounds great in theory...but that will mean huge RAW files...and once you take the image into Photoshop and add several layers...the file will be gargantuan. There are very, very few photographers who actually need that level of resolution. I've talked to quite a few wedding photographers and read an article about a top S.I. photographer...they all seem to agree that 8-12 MP is plenty enough for just about everything they do.

• RAW (.ARW 2.0)
• Compressed or uncompressed RAW option
• RAW + JPEG Fine
• JPEG Extra Fine
• JPEG Fine
• JPEG Standard

• 6048 x 4032 (24M 3:2)
• 4400 x 2936 (13M 3:2)
• 3024 x 2016 (6.1M 3:2)
• 6048 x 3408 (21M 16:9)
• 4400 x 2472 (11M 16:9)
• 3024 x 1704 (5.2M 16:9)
• 3924 x 2656 (11M APSC)
• 2896 x 1928 (5.6M APSC)
• 1984 x 1320 (2.6M APSC)

Continuous Shooting:
• H: Approx 5fps max
• L: Approx 3fps max
• RAW: Up to 12 frames
• cRAW (compressed): Up to 25 frames
• RAW+JPEG: Up to 10 frames
• JPEG (XFINE): Up to 11 frames
• JPEG (STD/FINE): 285/105

I really like the look of this camera. Mostly because I'm a total lens snob and Zeiss die hard.

Early reviews are putting the sensor more, or less on a par with the Canon that is currently twice the price. The very high resolution is my only concern even though higher resolution is what I want from digital.

My understanding is that current technology means smaller pixels = more noise. It will be interesting to find out if Sony have solved the problem at heart, or are using very clever in camera processing to address noise. The fact that the highest ISO rating is lower than Nikon and Canon equivalents may be a clue. I rarely shoot at anything other than 100, so not an issue for me, but it may be for others.

The software provided is apparently very fast. Turning out 61MB Tiffs from RAW in less than 4 seconds compared to 20 seconds in another pro programme on the same PC (in a review on Luminous Landscape IIRC).

I like it, but with recession looming no way can I take the risk ATM.

On a completely unrelated subject: I'm off to follow a 1000KM Roman pilgrimage on foot from Seville to Santiago de Compostela very soon. I'll be taking my time and diverting to visit friends. Blogging where possible if anyone is interested. TheLostPhotographer.blogspot.com from Sep' 22nd.

I'll no doubt continue to read here and drop in when Wi-Fi access allows. There are some stretches that may mean days without any reception at all.

Comparison: Sony A900 to Canon 1Ds Mk III

...although the appropriate comparison would probably be against the 5D replacement.

Yup! I guess so. But, specs and prices have yet to be announced???

It's a strange race. For me, all I'm interested in is Zeiss lenses and more information (more pixels). I won't really be in a position to lay out the cash until Spring 2010. Much will change between now and then I'm sure, but it looks good to see Sony make a bit of serious competition to push the prices down for us consumers.

I'd really like to see Samsung and others enter the market also. A considered Samsung with Schneider(?) lens would make me think twice.

The world is moving so fast. Then again a quality 5"x 4" will always tempt me beyond digital.

Maybe Canon will announce some specs and price since this sony has come out...for a nice competition...

Comparison: Sony A900 to Canon 1Ds Mk III

...although the appropriate comparison would probably be against the 5D replacement.

I thought it was funny that he claims the Canon's sensor is much better and then shows an image that is supposed to show that - but actually the Sony image is many times better than the Canon. Does this guy even know what he doing? I kinda wonder...

Then he goes on to process two different images taken with two different lenses in two different processing applications - and compare them to each other - hahahaha. I think he should delete his article and apologize to the people of the Earth for complete stupidity... :D

Spring 2010 is 18 months away, I don't think there will be major upgrades. Right now everyone is rolling out their new technology, and these have a good 24 - 30 month life cycle. There will be incremental updates for marketing purposes, but I don't see major changes between then and now.

Most reactions

Back