Sony dSLR Lense Question

b_ntl_yRyan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought a new Sony a300 w/ kit lens this summer, and I am looking to get a new lens for Christmas. I am wondering if anyone has some advice on what that next lens should be. I am looking in the less than $300 price range. I am a n00b to photography but slowly learning. I want to be able to have a high depth of field to shoot portraits...

Update...Sony dSLR *Lens* Question

Sony SAL75300 75-300mm and should be in your price range. I also have a Sony a300 and this was the 1st lens I bought after getting the camera and the kit lens. This is a bit more, but it's the next lens I'll be buying this winter. Sony SAL50F14 50mm F1.4 Lens.

yeah i would say to go with the 50mm 1.4, i feel stupid that i dont have it yet (considering its price, and its quality).

When i purchased my 75-300... i was quite happy with the quality thinking it was good, but then i got my 2.8 90mm tamron macro, and it just ruined all my ideas of the 75-300. i want to get the 70-200 2.8 now :(

The Sony 50mm 1.4 will run more than $300 I believe. I bought a minolta 50mm 1.7 on ebay for about $60 and it works beautifully. While you're still learning I'd go with the cheaper one so you can buy another lens too.

Here's a good site I've gone to to get reviews for Sony/Minolta lens reviews:

Minolta Sony alpha lens reviews - Dyxum.com

I'd heard you could use Minolta lenses on Sony alphas... but I'd also heard that it wasn't the best idea? I'm getting the idea I was given bad info on that part now :D

I'd heard you could use Minolta lenses on Sony alphas... but I'd also heard that it wasn't the best idea? I'm getting the idea I was given bad info on that part now :D
Who told you that? Was it a salesman?

I'm not a pro by any means...I'm probably just now getting to the point where I can call myself an enthusiast...but the mount on the Sony Alphas is the exact same as the mount on the old Minolta auto-focus SLRs. I don't see how it would be bad for the camera unless he/she is thinking that the electrical components may be old and worn and could cause problems.

Most reactions

Back