Sony DSLR Wedding, quincianeras, etc.

frankosmusica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok my question is simple i am planning to open a small wedding buissness and do photography for weddings, quinceaneras, etc. I am planning on buying a Sony DSLR though, but i want to know which on would be good enough for these type of things ?

Would the Sony 330 be good for this ? or which model number and up would be good 390, 500 ? please help me out here

It's not whether the camera is good enough...it's whether or not you're good enough.

LOL.. you have not even bought a camera and you are thinking about an event photography? An event it is something you cant redo! Do not experiment with people important day unless you know what you are doing! Stay with portraits!

I personally will not invest on Sony (at least not this year) because lenses are very import when it comes to professional photography. Sony does make good lenses but it is a lot easier to get good lenses for Canon and Nikon. Also you can get inexpensive used equipment for both of these brands. If you are planning to take photography as your profession then you need to invest in the right direction. Just my 2 cents :)

As mentioned you will have to be good enough to take wedding photos and you can be with time and a lot of hard work. Good Luck :)

But sony has Image stablizer inside the body. So the high end lens may be cheaper with sony because they dont have to put stablizer. Just a thought!

But sony has Image stablizer inside the body. So the high end lens may be cheaper with sony because they dont have to put stablizer. Just a thought!

That's cool, I didn't know that.

I doubt that it will be "optical" image stabilization? Optical is suppose to be better the electronic image stabilization.

my question still hasnt been answered, would a a330 do ? or do i have to bump it up to the 500 ? and yes i still havnt done an event but i want to get a camera to start my practice and then by the time im ready i will allready have a camera ! I dont want to spend twice on a camera i want to save as much money as possible anyone does

Yes it is "optical stablization" the only difference from lens stablization is that you can't see it working in the viewfinder.

Yes it is "optical stablization" the only difference from lens stablization is that you can't see it working in the viewfinder.

Didn't know that - time to switch to Sony :)

my question still hasnt been answered, would a a330 do ? or do i have to bump it up to the 500 ? and yes i still havnt done an event but i want to get a camera to start my practice and then by the time im ready i will allready have a camera ! I dont want to spend twice on a camera i want to save as much money as possible anyone does

It depends upon how long will it take for you to be ready for wedding photography. If you think you will be ready next week then go for the best you can afford.

But the cost of those good Sony lens without stabilization is close to Canon version with IS.

Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G-Series $1799
SAL70200G Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G-Series a (Alpha) Mount Digital SLR Telephoto Zoom Lens with Hood.

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS $1899
7042A002 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Image Stabilizer AutoFocus Telephoto Zoom Lens - USA

It is not optical but sensor-shift stabilization in Sony. But it does not mean that it is good or bad.

Image Stabilization - Lens vs. Body

They missed a big one there. With Lens based IS you not only get an IS system tuned to the specific lens, but you also get stuck with the IS system you have. Say your camera comes with a kit lens that has VR. Yay you get VR a good 1-2 stops of less shake. But now it's 2 years later you add a brand spanking new lens to your kit. The new VR lens gives you 4 stops and you don't need to upgrade your entire camera body to get that.

Admittedly it's a slow moving field, but there's no doubt that the most recent VR implementations are far better than the old ones including things like automatic tripod detection on the VRII lenses from Nikon, and probably a similar feature in newer Canons too.

Mind you if you're entire buying decision is hanging on if the camera or the lens has VR then you're definitely deciding with the wrong metrics.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back