Sony E 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Lens, is it worth it?

RockSolid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I just got my first DSLR camera and it is a Sony Nex-5.
I just purchase a TAMRON AF 18-200mm XR Di II LENS for $230.
I'm using a A-mounttoE-mount adapter and I lost autofocus and image stabilization.
The Sony E 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Lens cost $799 and has auto focus and image stabilization build in.

Here is my question, is it worth it to you to have the image stabilization and auto focus for the extra $500?
And in terms of quality, is there any difference, should i stick with the Tamron?

Thanks for your imput, you will be helping me a lot...
May God Bless you.

Hmm, seeing that you have not had a reply yet I am thinking that there are not many NEX user's here.

Interesting cameras, the NEX-7 looks really interesting as it has an EVF.
I would think that most users of the NEX are looking for something that represents the old rangefinder type cameras ... small, quick and quiet.

I had been shooting with non-IS for years (back in the film days) ... and I still am not sure how much it helps with my shots.
AF would be handy for quick shooting ... how have you found manual focusing on the LCD ?

i would buy a 18-200 ever. I hate variable aperture lenses. If I had a nex I would look for old leica lenses to use on it and not the sony lenses. The ability to do this is the only thing that ever made one of the little thingys attractive to me.

Diskjoe thats some awefully stinging criticism, but i suppose if they are going to price the NEX5 where its at they'd better make it right.

Most reactions

Back