Sony Mavica 16x optical zoom help?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Nicker, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Nicker

Nicker TPF Noob!

I am a beginner photographer and need some help. I use my camera for macro close up shots of my glass work. I am not getting pictures as clear as I'd like. I bought this camera believeing the optical zoom would give me nice crisp pictures but it's just not happening. Does anyone have this camera that could possibly help?

2. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    When you zoom in you need something to hold your camera steady. Are you using a tripod? If not you must invest in one. I was having the same problem with my 12x optical zoom but my photos come out awesome when I use my tripod.

3. Nicker

Nicker TPF Noob!

I do have a tripod and use it. I have the auto focus on, and the steady shot on. I have the camera lens about 2 inches away from the object. I am wondering if I should try manually focusing?

4. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, you should try the manual focus. Somtimes the auto focus doesn't work as well as manual. Also try using the timer for your shots. So that there is no camera shake when you press the shutter button. Using the timer allows for no movement after you press the shutter.

5. Nicker

Nicker TPF Noob!

I do use the timer, sorry I forgot to mention that too. I am very new to camera's so I forget all the specifics. I'll try the manual focus, I hope it says somewhere in the manual how you know the object IS in focus. I think it's hard too because my pieces are glass and the camera may find it hard to know what to focus on? Maybe by manually focusing I can eliminate this?

6. Mad_Gnome

Mad_Gnome TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Manual focus can help, but it's also possible you're simply too close to your subjects. 2" is incredibly close, and there aren't many lenses that will focus that closely on an object. Try manually focusing, and if this doesn't solve the problem, back up until you can focus clearly.

7. Nicker

Nicker TPF Noob!

Now I am more confused I was told the way to use a optical zoom was told have the lens about 2 inches away and zoom right out to take the picture? Sony Mavica 14x optical zoom, MVC-FD91. So would a newer 6x optical zoom be better than a ancient 14x optical zoom?

8. Mad_Gnome

Mad_Gnome TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not all macro lenses work at the same distance. Some lenses will focus as closely as an inch away from the subject, while others will only focus as closely as 8", or 12", 15", etc. As before, I recommend trying manual focus first. Focus your lens in so that the focal point as close to you as it will go. If the image is still fuzzy, try moving the camera back until it comes into focus. This will be the closest you can focus in Macro.