Sony Memory Stick High Speed

igord2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the Sony Memory Stick.

For the Christmas my family bought me a 5 mpix camera, now I have to buy a memory stick for it but Im not sure do I need pro duo high speed or ordinary pro duo memory stick.

I assume that all of you guys will give an advice to buy high speed memory but since its hard to find high speed memory where I live Im not sure should I do more effort to find high speed or the ordinary pro duo is just fine.

Im not a pro, just want to use camera with the acceptable speed of writing of the photos /not to wait for eg. 10 secs for that/, is there huge difference in the speed of those 2 memory sticks ? I found on the wikipedia that pro duo is 15 Mbit/s and high speed pro duo is 80 Mbit/s but I have no expirience about the importance and speed in the real life.

Is that fact really important in using the camera as an amateur in the ordinary life usage ?

Is the pro duo much slower than high speed pro duo during the ordinary usage ?

Thanks !

Welcome to the forum.

It's a bit more complicated than just the speed of the memory card. The camera's memory buffer has a lot to do with how long it takes to process and save a photo.

The speed of the card comes into play when you shoot repeatedly and fill the camera's buffer. The buffer off loads the images onto the card...and that is where the speed of the card can cause a bottle neck and slow things down.

So if you don't shoot bursts (sports etc.) then you should be OK with a slower card.

Also, a slower card may take longer to upload the image to a computer...or even take longer when you are reviewing them on the camera. It can be slightly annoying...but usually not a big deal.

Most reactions

Back