Sony Nex-5T - damaged sensor, any hope of saving this camera?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by zoes.gallery, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My favorite camera flings OIL...so when I clean its sensor, it usually takes FOUR swabs. Other cameras I have had never flung oil, so they could be neatly done with one, or two swabs. Congratulations on your act of having taken this bull right by the horns and wrassling it into submission! You've now got the camera back to working order and have not sunk 300 pounds Sterling into it. Way to go Zoe!

2. zoes.gallery

zoes.gallery TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think I'm about to write off this camera. I have no idea what's going on and why I cn't get the sensor clean.

I will post up five images with this camera, straight out of cam with no levels-editing, to show the crazy, varied, but always bad results. dirt/crap comes up different places on the images??this is as seriously clean as I could possibly get the lens and sensor to be. I can't clean anymore.

Shot at ISO 100 at F22 shooting up at the sky, ,moving the frame of view slightly each time. All shot within seconds (or less) of each other.

bought canon 5d mark iii so will be happy to take pics with that, once I've figured out how to use it.

Attached Files:

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That's some serious crud! Did you try a dry cleaning after the swabbing?

4. zoes.gallery

zoes.gallery TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

It was already dry after the swabbing - I guess the alcohol or whatever solvent it is in the cleaning solution, dries instantly or near enough. I took this camera with me recently on a trip to NYC (as it is so lightweight and small, being a mirrorless!) and the pictures were blemish-free. Whatever I did with the cleaning and constantly working on every little spot I saw, worked. In fact, my images didn't even need to be worked on with the spot healing tool for dust spots etc, which is almost always the case when I process images on LR or PS afterwards as part of my workflow. Sorry this isn't so helpful to others with same issue, but don't give up and do try targetting any single bit of dust you see, whether it's on lens or sensor. And those wet sensor cleaning kits do work - don't be afraid of them like I Was...