Sony or Canon?; General Purpose and Macro...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by downplay, Oct 15, 2017.

1. downplay

downplay TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Actually, the dxomark article that gives these inexpensive lenses such high ratings is specifically about the Sony A7 II, but they are not Sony brand lenses. They are aftermarket brands like Tamron, Samyang, Sigma, etc. Maybe I should want Sony lenses, I don't know, but I did own a nice Tamron wide angle lens a while back for a Canon Rebel and I was very happy with it. It seemed to deliver a lot of bang for the buck and I had no problems with it.

As suggested, I'd always read that too, Canon is overall the best brand for macro. And, that is what I may have to decide also, which is more important to me. I said I'd be using the camera for buildings and landscapes for business but the truth is, I like taking landscape photos a lot too just for fun, not just macros. I will go to the store and check them out as suggested, but the Sony brand 90mm macro has a really high dxomark rating of 40, and I could buy it with an extender, and one of the highly rated aftermarket wide angle lenses. It sounds like the best of both worlds to me, without opening up my budget to the extreme--looking at the overall situation in terms of lens quality and costs.

2. cherylynne1

cherylynne1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Could you link the article? I have no issue with Sigma or any other 3rd party lens maker. In fact, I’ve often suggested one or all of the Sigma APS-C Trinity (19, 30, 60) for new Sony users on a budget. They get excellent reviews, considering the price. However, I don’t know of a full frame 16mm or 16-50mm lens from any company. Both are available for Sony’s ASP-C cameras.

I’m not trying to be difficult, and I’d be thrilled to find that there are new inexpensive options for Sony full frame. But I just want to make sure you have access to all the correct information when making this decision. I would hate for you to base your choice on a poorly written article or chart.

I’ve never heard of Canon having any advantage for macro in any sense, other than from Canon fanboys. All the major companies do well with macro lenses.

3. downplay

downplay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No, I can't, as it turns out I was looking at an article for the Sony A77 II. I didn't notice that extra sneaky "7!" Sorry about that!

"Canon fanboys," that is hilarious! It is amazing how many people love their irrational and emotional attachments to things :)

4. cherylynne1

Photos OK to edit
    Lol, I told you that the Sony naming system was insane!! Yes, that’s an A-mount camera. I don’t know their lenses as well, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they had those lenses. Rumors have it that Sigma and Tamron will be jumping into Sony E-mount full frame soon, but I don’t know that we have any solid announcements yet. Fingers crossed!

5. downplay

downplay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Nikon D750 is looking very good so far. The camera body is on the higher end but not terrible and the lens selection seems to offer great bang for the buck if you don't have an unlimited budget! The body price is off BH and the rest were the estimates on dxomark.

Nikon D750.jpg

6. downplay

downplay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Nikon D3400 APS-C has a pretty nice lens lineup as well for quality and affordability. Would you expect to get similar or even better performance from these lenses on a D7200 or D7500, or is that too much to hope for?

Nikon D3400.jpeg

7. cherylynne1

Photos OK to edit
    The Nikon D7x00 line is outstanding. Fantastic sensors and feature set. Definitely an improvement over their d3400 in every way. The question is whether you would need any of the extra features or if you’d be better served with the more basic camera. I don’t know the differences well enough to know if there are any features that would benefit macro work.

8. downplay

downplay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I still have to go to the store and handle some in person but unless I just don't like them when I see them, Nikons are looking like the best to me because of both sensor quality and affordable lens selection.

By what increments can you adjust ISO on a digital camera? I am seeing crazy numbers on dxomark like 2956 or 2853. Are the settings so digitally precise? It has been so long I can't remember how it was on my Rebel I had years ago.

9. cherylynne1

Photos OK to edit

No, they aren’t that precise. Those numbers are sort of averages of how high those sensors can go before it becomes too noisy to be usable. The higher numbers represent a better sensor, but the camera itself will go 100-200-400-800, etc, and some of the higher end ones will have 1/3 stops inbetween. But it doesn’t go to specific numbers.

Nikon’s a great company. If I ever wanted a DSLR instead of mirrorless, the d7500 is what I would go with.