Sony or Pentax?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by AussieDee, Aug 27, 2008.

1. AussieDee

AussieDee TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok... I have a choice to get either a Pentax K100D or a Sony 200WB
    The difference in price is $250ish (Pentax being the cheaper of the two)

The Pentax has a kit lens of 18-35mm and 75-300mm
    Sony has 18-70mm and 75-300mm

Pentax is 6.1mp / Sony 10.2mp

What would you guys recommend?

Edit: What does this mean? "No raw-plus-JPEG mode"

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, that's a tough one. I think I would be inclined to go with the Sony, just because, resolution aside, it seems to have a few very, very minor edges over the Pentax, such as a slightly wider ISO range, and slightly better bracketing. Really though, it should come down to which ever you like better. On the plus side for the Pentax, it does have a metal chassis. Both have access to a huge range of legacy lenses (Pentax or Minolta)... Flip a coin.

3. pez

pez No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Pentax hasn't made the K100 for a while. The K200D replaced it back in January, and is basically a slightly less featured K10D (also replaced) that takes 4 AA's rather than a lithium cell- but with the same 10.2 CCD, etc. Don't know what a Sony 200WB is, but if you mean a Sony Alpha 200, then I would definitely pick that over the K100D, but the Sony is about even with the Pentax K200, and I'd lean towards the Pentax in that case for the nicer glass...
    just my op

4. AussieDee

AussieDee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm dunno about the Sony Alpha 200 since the advert says Sony 200WB. I tried to look up Sony 200WB and got all chinese links from google :lol:

There's more description with the Sony then the Pentax in the advert and in the Sony it says Bionz Engine. What's that? And what does it mean when it says "No RAW-plus-JPEG mode?

5. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, I'm confused; I had assumed that Sony 200WB was simply a regional model name for what we refer to as the Sony A200. "No RAW+JPG" mode means that the camera cannot record a raw image and a .jpg image of the the scene simultaneously. This isn't a huge deal IMO, but it does make me wonder what camera we're talking about since the A200 can most definitely shoot RAW+JPG; in fact AFAIK, all DSLRS can. Anyone?

"Bionz Engine" is simply Sony's name for it's image-processing chip. They just put it in the advertisment to make it sound more important.

6. AussieDee

AussieDee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The RAW+JPEG is from a review I looked up for the Pentax. It doesn't pertain to the Sony.

As for the Bionz Engine... ok. :D Thanks. I think my scales are teetering towards the Pentax.

7. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Ahh, on further reading of the K100 review, that is indeed correct; surprising, but correct. One other point that I'll mention in favour of the Sony (and not that I have any feelings about either one, being a Nikon guy) is that the kit lenses with the Sony cover the 18mm - 300mm completely except for a negligible 5mm between 70 and 75mm where as with the Pentax, there's a gap between 35 and 75mm, which is your near telephoto (~50mm-110mm equiv) range. Not sure if that will be important to your shooting or not.

8. AussieDee

AussieDee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I noticed that too. So can you tell me roughly what range that is? I basically shoot landscapes and wildlife and an occasional macro shot here and there.

9. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think it will effect you too much in that case; it's your very near telephoto range; the sort of focal ranges you might use to zoom in on a persons head in a crowded room. The wider-angles are what you'll use most for your landscapes, and the long tele-range 200+ more for your wildlife.

I would suggest trying both of these cameras in the store, with all the lenses and paying particular attention to the "missing" area of the Pentax. You may find that you really like or dislike the feel of one of these bodies. I wouldn't get too wound up in the glass however; there is a myriad of absolutely excellent Pentax glass out there on the used market.

10. sdowden

sdowden TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've got the sony a200 twin lens kit which you seem to be talking about.

I didn't even look at the Pentax for the reason it was much older and was only 6.2MP.

The Sony is easy to use, the only issue I've had with it was last w/end in hard conditions taking photos at the horse races. I had a few major issues with noise.
    One moment the sun was out the next it was overcast and raining a minute later the sun was out again - bloody Melbourne, 4 seasons in 1 day.

The sony has a nice glass that ships with it.

11. AussieDee

AussieDee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yep, I was going to do that although I'm not sure how it's suppose to feel in my hands. I guess what feels comfortable. I attempted this with a Sony, a Canon, and a Nikon but I just couldn't "feel" a difference. Wish you could test drive them for a day, ya know? :confused:

I'm not sure if I'm worried about the MP. Should I be? This will be my first DSLR - I think I'm more concerned about functionality or having the camera do what my p&s can't.

12. moovinfast

moovinfast TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd go with the Pentax. I have a 100d and I love it. You can use any older pentax lens on it, even the screw on ones with an adapter.