Sony RANT!!!

Never mind Sony, you just put me off Nikon for the rest of my life !!! Thank goodness I shoot Sony cameras :) :)

Danny.

Why do you only have one card?

One of the reasons paid photographers carry backups for everything is that things fail. Putting 'all your eggs' in one basket is asking for trouble...and it happened.

Sony also has a history of getting 'greedy' and wanting the whole ball of wax. Remember Beta format VCRs? Sony invented the VHS format, decided it was not good enough quality, so sold the rights and everything else associated with VHS when they invented Beta format. Definitely better quality images than VHS. But then they wanted to charge a royalty to every company that would build Beta machines as well as tapes. Needless to say, nobody took them up on it and Beta quietly died in the public domain a few years later. When I finally replaced my Betamax recorder with VHS, the quality loss was quite noticeable. My guess is the 'new regime' of bosses at Sony have forgotten that lesson, so they are doomed to repeat it with XQD cards.

Are you sure you the Sony people you were talking to are here in the US? By the way this story was going, those people could have been in Timbuktu that is why they do not seem to know what your problem is...

When I was considering a D4 that stupid card thing was a real turnoff.

All that said, and as much as I HATE Sony, seems like your issues here have to do with a lot of vendors and manufacturers, and not Sony alone. Plus, expecting you to pay to send the card back isn't unusual. I didn't read all of your wall of text there, but did you ask about a cross-ship? Usually you can provide a credit card number and they'll ship you a new one immediately, and just charge you if you don't return the bad card.

No they wouldn't do that. I explained to them I couldn't go without the card for 8 weeks and that they could send me a new one and hold my credit card info if I failed to return the old. And they refused and said it was against their policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The customer is always right even if they are wrong.

Sorry, but that's absolutely incorrect. The customer isn't always right.

Sometimes, the customer is dishonest. Sometimes the customer has used a product in such a manner which would void a warranty. Sometimes customers simply have unrealistic expectations.

I'm not suggesting that any of these apply to you. I'm merely pointing out that customers are, in fact very often wrong. A company which simply accepts any and every claim made by a customer is destined to suffer losses...

Every time I've ever had any issues they have been resolved with little to no bickering, its called Customer Service for a reason. They are there to Serve the Customer, not the other way around. But thats your opinion and I respect that. I think your wrong though, you do everything you can to resolve a issue as a business.

Here are some examples I've experience so far in my short life.

Apple replaced two chargers that have failed for free.

Samsung replaced a whole entire fridge because the LED screen on my door wouldn't turn on and here the people Home Depot hired to install it, hooked it up wrong. They still replaced it.

Subaru swapped out my entire dash bc my navigation was flickering.

Home Depot replaced a shower head of mine that I bought six months before and even threw away my receipt and they 'took my word' that I bought it from them and didn't even question it.

I could probably name a few others times too, but thats not my point here. My point is problems get resolved, not ignored.

Why do you only have one card?

An excellent question. Price be damned, you don't show up to a gig with just one memory card...

I have dozens of compact flash cards. I only have one XQD. I never show up with ONE card.

Also the D4 has dual slots, I could of easily popped the XQD out and shot on the CF card. I wanted to make sure none of the original photos got corrupt, if they did I needed to retake them as I already got through all the individual photos.

Last edited:
Did you happen to switch capture formats while a buffer of images was writing to the card, such as switching from full-field to crop-mode? Or did you happen to accidentally turn the camera off in the middle of a write-to-card cycle? Bothy of those moves have caused me warning errors.

On the old D2x, I once shot the start of a 110 meter hurdles race in 2.0x high speed crop, then switched to full-field at the end...it "ate" the finish of the race because it was writing the images to the card, I guess. I was able to replicate the issue multiple times.

Wondering too: do you delete images IN THE FIELD??? In days gone by, that used to cause occasional problems with early Nikon d-slr cameras, and we all learned NEVER to delete images in the field, but to just fill a card, then download it to the computer and to do ALL, as in ALL deleting, at the computer, and never using the camera to delete from the card.

I would trust a Lexar card or a SanDisk brand card very much, but to me, some of the other card makers are sketchy.

Derrel, I did not switch any formats. The only thing I remember doing was bumping the iso from 100 to 200 or maybe it was the shutter speed from 1000 to 500. I can't remember exactly but I was changing the exposure and brought it back up to take a picture and click, nothing, click, nothing. Looked at the screen, error.

I usually do delete photos in the field. I sometimes take 1-2 just in case of blinks and I'll keep the better one. I will be sure to not delete anymore hahaha.

I think I'm going to give the Lexar card a try. Thats the brand I use for my CF and so far its 'bulletproof'.

Funny thing is, I'm not even sure Sony makes a camera that handles XQD - I know the D4 will, and I think Olympus has one that will as well - but the only one I know of that Sony makes that supports it is like a monster high end digital video camera that costs like 5 or 6 grand. As far as still cameras I don't think any of the Sony's support XQD - Even their A99 - pretty much Sony's top of the line full frame doesn't support XQD as I recall.

I think my A7 does

Pretty sure XQD isn't a Sony proprietary format. SanDisk and lexar also make it (or are suppose to).

Though I totally agree in regards to the ridiculous customer service from Sony.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Funny thing is, I'm not even sure Sony makes a camera that handles XQD - I know the D4 will, and I think Olympus has one that will as well - but the only one I know of that Sony makes that supports it is like a monster high end digital video camera that costs like 5 or 6 grand. As far as still cameras I don't think any of the Sony's support XQD - Even their A99 - pretty much Sony's top of the line full frame doesn't support XQD as I recall.

I think my A7 does

I could be wrong but I thought the slot on an A7 was SDHC or SDXC. I think the other slot is for a pro-duo card.

I could be wrong but I thought the slot on an A7 was SDHC or SDXC. I think the other slot is for a pro-duo card.

Your probably right I'm not into all the technical crap as long as I can change ISO shutter speed and aputure that will do me

Your probably right I'm not into all the technical crap as long as I can change ISO shutter speed and aputure that will do me
as long as it does the job you need it to do I don't think anything else really matters that much

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

The customer is always right even if they are wrong.

Sorry, but that's absolutely incorrect. The customer isn't always right.
Steve, I must respectfully disagree with your ascertation.

The Customer is Always Right.

In the history of Humanity there has never been a stupid question asked - EVER.

If it is on the internet It has to be true.

This is just common knowledge by any living breathing thinking individual.

By the way, Bone Jouree, I'm a French Model if you were not aware. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those who subscribe to the quaint notion of "the customer is always right" have never worked in retail.

The point is not that the customer is always right (they clearly are not) but that you treat them as if they are. They may incur losses to begin with but the idea is that they will gain a customer that will continue to use and purchase their products in the future.

It's probably safe to say that the OP is not going to buy another Sony memory card and may not buy anything Sony ever again over what probably would have cost them $20 (their estimated cost for the memory card).

I think the gains out weigh the losses.

Most reactions

Back