Sony RAW files help

Yownhouse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was doing research on jpegs, fine, raw, and raw+jepeg to see which one I like better. The only problem is that I cannot convert my ARW. files and I have tried downloading several things to convert these RAW pictures.

I would like to stick to using my current photoshop CS3 but I guess I can't complain if I can still convert it.
-I have a sony alpha230 if that matters. Thanks for the help in advance

*P.s. is there any opinions as to which file is best to shoot in? I just get the feeling that raw would be the best way to go. But I could be wrong.

Did Sony included software on a CD ... did they supply a RAW converter app.

I should probably check the box.. haha, usually with that stuff I just leave the manuals and discs in the box. Thanks, hopefully that's all it is.

There should be a CD that you can install the Sony Image Data Converter SR.
After installing you should hop onto the Sony site to see if there is an update.

Note: Adobe CS4's Camera Raw plugin supports the Sony a230 ... but CS3 does not.

I was doing research on jpegs, fine, raw, and raw+jepeg to see which one I like better. The only problem is that I cannot convert my ARW. files and I have tried downloading several things to convert these RAW pictures.

I would like to stick to using my current photoshop CS3 but I guess I can't complain if I can still convert it.

*P.s. is there any opinions as to which file is best to shoot in? I just get the feeling that raw would be the best way to go. But I could be wrong.

I cant help with downloading RAW but as to your P.S. there are pros and cons to both JPEG and RAW. One may be best for one situation and the other best for another. RAW will give you the most wiggle room when it comes to fixing things in post processing. They allow the most correcting, for example pulling detail out of the shadows, and recovering highlights and fixing exposure errors. They also should be the highest quality because compression is non existant , or at least minimized. However RAW files are the largest and require the most memory space. If you are on the road for example and have limited storage space this could be an issue. If frames per second speed is an issue, as with sports, RAW files take a bit longer to process and could slow things down. JPEG files are smaller, even at their largest, becasue they are compressed by dumping info. At their largest this is minimal and you might not be able to see any differance. Since they are smaller files JPEGs allow more shots on a memory card, and faster processing, so more shots per second. But, JPEGs are less fixable later. I shoot RAW whenever storage space is not an issue, and my camera is fast enough even in RAW. In 2008 I took a two and a half month trip where storage was a big issue, so I shot entirely in the largest JPEG size. Hope this helps...JSD

I cant help with downloading RAW but as to your P.S. there are pros and cons to both JPEG and RAW. One may be best for one situation and the other best for another. RAW will give you the most wiggle room when it comes to fixing things in post processing. They allow the most correcting, for example pulling detail out of the shadows, and recovering highlights and fixing exposure errors. They also should be the highest quality because compression is non existant , or at least minimized. However RAW files are the largest and require the most memory space. If you are on the road for example and have limited storage space this could be an issue. If frames per second speed is an issue, as with sports, RAW files take a bit longer to process and could slow things down. JPEG files are smaller, even at their largest, becasue they are compressed by dumping info. At their largest this is minimal and you might not be able to see any differance. Since they are smaller files JPEGs allow more shots on a memory card, and faster processing, so more shots per second. But, JPEGs are less fixable later. I shoot RAW whenever storage space is not an issue, and my camera is fast enough even in RAW. In 2008 I took a two and a half month trip where storage was a big issue, so I shot entirely in the largest JPEG size. Hope this helps...JSD[/QUOTE]

thanks a lot man it helps! I do have multiple storage cards because the Sony is now compatible with sandisk which makes it cheaper and more convenient then buying sony's 30 dollar memory stick :|

Note: Adobe CS4's Camera Raw plugin supports the Sony a230 ... but CS3 does not.

Yup, your RAW converter must be at least as new as your camera.

One workaround is to download and use the newest (currently v5.6) of the Adobe DNG Converter. This will convert camera specific proprietary RAW flavors into Adobe's "universal" RAW flavor, DNG. The older version of ACR in PS/CS3 will then be able to read the DNG files and perform the RAW conversion. True, this is an extra step, but it does work and the price is right (free).

I shoot on a sony (A350) and generally shoot in RAW. My process is as follows:

Shoot RAW in camera
Open RAW images in photoshop
Use photoshop RAW editing to edit photo to my liking
Save as .psd file and save as .jpg if I'm posting the picture on the web

As for what you should shoot on, it depends what you're shooting for. As you probably know, RAW gives you more versatility (and forgiveness!!) but takes up more space and takes more time to process. If you're getting serious into photography, try using RAW. Even if you don't always use it its a good skill to know. It's pretty crucial to shoot in RAW if the pictures are very important, such as a wedding (or any paid gig for that matter).

Most reactions

Back