Sony SLT-A65V for video recording?

Juusuhako

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,
in connection with my job I am doing a lot of filming (from super local video ads & news, to various "profile/presentation" films for companies, showcasing their products/factory/whatever.)

As me and my colleague are just starting we need a decent, semi-good camera. We've before had a Canon 70D and 80D which we were very fond of, but this is no longer the case unfortunately, but we want something thats on pair with them.

We've found a 2nd hand Sony A65 with the following lenses:
Sal1650
Sal55200-2
Sal50f18

We actually don't have much knowledge (if any) about lenses since we usually had a guy hired for this. So, overall, the A65 with these 3 lenses, should we be be able to get some super nice and crisp videos? An overall explanation of the different lenses would be awesome too, so we dont end up buying something we might never need or use.

Get a Sony a6000 or if you want 4K capability get the Sony a6300 or a6500

It really depends on the price your paying. The lenses if you were to purchase them new would be around $1,000 in the US.
The 16-50 f/2.8 is a good fast lens. Wide angle to standard view zoom lens.
The 55-200 f/4.0-5.6 is a normal run of the mill inexpensive long zoom lens.
The 50 f/1.8 prime lens (doesn't zoom) is a decent 50mm lens on par with the other manufacturers for same type of lens.
The camera is a older design from 2011. There are much better cameras in it's used price range that performs much better.

The reason I did not include a price is because I live in Denmark and the prices here on tech compared to US is another world due to taxes. I can tell you though that the price of the A65+3 lenses comes to what is equal to $920.

Both me and my colleague are at the start-up phase so we don't need the latest and greatest to begin with, but simply something decent, preferably on par with the 70D and 80D.

Like I mentioned we had a guy hired for equipment in the past, we really do not have any technical/specification experience ourselves with DSLR. Other models that sell at the same price range here are:
EOS 60D + EFS 15-85mm
EOS 70D + 18-135mm IS STM
EOS 7D + Canon EFS 15-85mm + Canon EF 75-300mm
EOS 750D + 75-300mm f/4-5.6 iii + Tokina 11.16mm f/2.8 Canon
EOS 760D + 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM

Those 5 are 2nd hand I found at more or less the same price of the A65. I think the reason I got interested in the A65 was the video capabilities such as keeping focus on a specific object automatically, but I've no idea if these other 5 can do the same? Would you think one of those 5 would be a better purchase? (there are no A6000/A6500)

It sounds like you haven't yet started though you say "in connection with my job I am doing a lot of filming" but then say "me and my colleague are just starting we need a decent, semi-good camera".

Were a TPF member to try and write you "An overall explanation of the different lenses" here in the forums the result would be close to the length of a book.

Based on what you say you need to shoot I would suggest you get a dedicated video camera and not a DSLR that can shoot video as a secondary function.

Good luck to you and your colleague with your new job duties.
It sounds like you and you colleague have little if any photography/video production experience.

Am I the only one that seems to think that if you are doing video that perhaps a video camera would be the better option than a still camera that does video?

How about something like Panasonic HC-VX981K Ultra HD Camcorder with Wi-Fi Twin Camera and 4K Photo Features

I just made a comment as you replied (its above yours). The Panasonic model is not available in any danish stores, unfortunately, which is why it's not easy to give advice when I live here and we dont have the same options. We've definitely looked at video cameras, specifically Canon legria hf g40, but it's simply not in the budget right now since we'd need lenses too. We've worked with DSLR's before to do filming and been quite happy with it, even though I realize a video camera would be better.

It sounds like you haven't yet started though you say "in connection with my job I am doing a lot of filming" but then say "me and my colleague are just starting we need a decent, semi-good camera".

Were a TPF member to try and write you "An overall explanation of the different lenses" here in the forums the result would be close to the length of a book.

Based on what you say you need to shoot I would suggest you get a dedicated video camera and not a DSLR that can shoot video as a secondary function.

Sorry, I formulated in a bad way. We used to be a team working with film until recently where the whole thing got split up. Now me and a 2nd person are continuing ourselves, but since all equipment back then was provided to us, we need to get it ourselves now. So no, theoretically we aren't actually working as of right now, but we're beginning next month which is why we need it fast.

Quick addition: Panasonic DV HC VX990 is also available for the same price of the DSLR's I listed above, if this is something you'd rather recommend.

Am I the only one that seems to think that if you are doing video that perhaps a video camera would be the better option than a still camera that does video?

How about something like Panasonic HC-VX981K Ultra HD Camcorder with Wi-Fi Twin Camera and 4K Photo Features

I just made a comment as you replied (its above yours). The Panasonic model is not available in any danish stores, unfortunately, which is why it's not easy to give advice when I live here and we dont have the same options. We've definitely looked at video cameras, specifically Canon legria hf g40, but it's simply not in the budget right now since we'd need lenses too. We've worked with DSLR's before to do filming and been quite happy with it, even though I realize a video camera would be better.

Sorry, I formulated in a bad way. We used to be a team working with film until recently where the whole thing got split up. Now me and a 2nd person are continuing ourselves, but since all equipment back then was provided to us, we need to get it ourselves now. So no, theoretically we aren't actually working as of right now, but we're beginning next month which is why we need it fast.
The point is a camcorder would be better for your needs if your needs are video. How about something like this since you can get Canon.
Canon VIXIA HF M52

Another option might be a quick trip to Germany or Norway where the options might be greater.

I don't do much video if any. But that Panasonic appears to be better suited for what you need. If all your doing is video's.

If you also do PowerPoint (or similar) presentations with still pictures and video mixed in. Then maybe the camera would be the better route.

The point is a camcorder would be better for your needs if your needs are video. How about something like this since you can get Canon.
Canon VIXIA HF M52

Another option might be a quick trip to Germany or Norway where the options might be greater.

That Canon seems to be an out-of-production model that is not available here either. A similarly priced is the Panasonic DV HC VX990 that I mentioned earlier. We do not live more than a few hours from the border, so that might be an option. And prices should definitely be better in Germany.

I don't do much video if any. But that Panasonic appears to be better suited for what you need. If all your doing is video's.

If you also do PowerPoint (or similar) presentations with still pictures and video mixed in. Then maybe the camera would be the better route.

Reason I perhaps dont like the Panasonic as much is the fact that we cannot buy any lenses for it, should we need to shoot something that might require one specific.

I would definitely love some feedback on the 5 DSLR's I mentioned a few posts up compared to the A65 (they're all similarly priced), this way we'd know which of these would be the best option should we get a DSLR, keeping our options open (assuming its not too much trouble to ask for). Although we might pay Germany a visit, so nothings set yet...

I would say stick with the Sony of those choices. It's a better performer except in low light. Gives you a higher video frame rate choice.

I would say stick with the Sony of those choices. It's a better performer except in low light. Gives you a higher video frame rate choice.

Thanks for the input. Is this taking the Panasonic video recorder into consideration too?

No. It's hard to compare specs for video and DSLR's. If you needed different lenses the DSLR would be the better option between all of them. Also just going by what your putting down as what's available to you. As there are better options available, but maybe not local to you at this time. If you have more time to allow one to be shipped to you. Then that would open up new doors.

No. It's hard to compare specs for video and DSLR's. If you needed different lenses the DSLR would be the better option between all of them. Also just going by what your putting down as what's available to you. As there are better options available, but maybe not local to you at this time. If you have more time to allow one to be shipped to you. Then that would open up new doors.

I could wait for shipping. While price and availability is different here, if you'd want to spot me a few recommendations on what would be a better choice I could always look them up and see if I can get them here. Assuming it doesn't take too long for you to do it. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back