Sony to stop producing DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt sony go to only making mirrorless cameras. Sony is an electronics producer and will keep producing dslr's as long as they sell. They may be trying to get a bigger piece of the mirrorless and 4/3 markets but it would be stupid for a billion dollar company to completely abandon the whole dslr market. Even if they dont lead the market they are still getting a pretty nice piece of it.

They are going with DSLT like the a55 and a77 rather than DSLR.

I doubt sony go to only making mirrorless cameras. Sony is an electronics producer and will keep producing dslr's as long as they sell. They may be trying to get a bigger piece of the mirrorless and 4/3 markets but it would be stupid for a billion dollar company to completely abandon the whole dslr market. Even if they dont lead the market they are still getting a pretty nice piece of it.

The article read....

"One of my trusted sources just sent me a quick note saying that the A600 rumor posted by C.Garrard isn’t correct. According to that source the A600 rumor is fake and he goes also one step further saying that there is no plan within Sony to make a DSLR camera in future. This can of course change, but in the short and mid term you should not expect any new optical viewfinder in any Sony camera."

This is a rumor and is saying more that they do not have anything on the board and not we are going to stop making these because there is no money in them any longer. Do you realize how much money they have invested in manufacturing alone? To just stop making them if finacially and realistically unfeasible. This is why it is only a rumor at this time.

The article read....

"One of my trusted sources just sent me a quick note saying that the A600 rumor posted by C.Garrard isn’t correct. According to that source the A600 rumor is fake and he goes also one step further saying that there is no plan within Sony to make a DSLR camera in future. This can of course change, but in the short and mid term you should not expect any new optical viewfinder in any Sony camera."

This is a rumor and is saying more that they do not have anything on the board and not we are going to stop making these because there is no money in them any longer. Do you realize how much money they have invested in manufacturing alone? To just stop making them if finacially and realistically unfeasible. This is why it is only a rumor at this time.

I'm not suggesting they are only going with mirrorless. They will definitely keep the DSLT lines.

If you follow SAR for the last year, along with statements Sony released when the a77 was released they are pretty clear about dropping DSLRs for DSLTs. (Terminology can be tricky on SAR and most Sony/Minolta forums DSLR and DSLT are not interchangeable.) No more cameras with reflex mirrors and optical viewfinders. The last one they had active was the a580 and that has been removed from their site. The a600 along with the a770 the a990 are all wish listing rumors by people who want reflex OVF camera. For the record I would love to see them release a true DSLR enthusiast and/or Full Frame. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Sony hasn't busted their ass to become the #3 camera choice for nothing. They're in it for the long haul.

As for the whole "DSLRs are on the way out" I highly doubt this. Mirrorless have a long way to go before video input can equal or beat a mirror box (and be fitted economically inside a DSLR body).

No, they do not have a long way to go in video, they are already there with A77 and will surpass that with the A99. The DSLR mirror is starting to limit further development in terms of size, speed, less noise, less vibration, etc. The fact that it is a mechanical system in an electronic digital camera means that potential for obsolescence is quite high.

Sony made lead in that direction but if the marketplace reacts positively, then Nikon and Canon will follow suit, like they have done in the past.

skieur

Canon tried it and it was crap, last week i did a studio night and the only Sony user could not see the subject :lol: through his wonderful veiwfinder

You really are misleading. Canon tried it a while ago without the OLED viewfinder and any of the improvements that Sony used. Why are you also reluctant to provide details as to model and situation. PROBABLY TO CONTINUE TO BE MISLEADING!!

skieur

This is from SAR posted today

Whatdigitalcamera (Click here) questioned if Sony is still committed to the DSLR technology: “With all of the major releases throughout 2011 being of the translucent mirror (SLT) variety, could this spell the end of Sony DSLRs as we know them?”
Sony contacted Whatdigitalcamera and said that “we are absolutely committed to the DSLR / SLT market.” The first thing to notice is that Sony mixed the DSLR/SLT terms. Sony didn’t just say “We are commited to the DSLR market“. Sounds like their intention is to sell the idea that SLT and DSLR are the same thing. And the other statement that follows confirms that: “Through our SLT cameras we believe we can deliver new benefits such as fastframe rate with continuous AF in both stills and videos. The a77 is proof of how serious we are about this market and the number of awards, including the What Digital Camera Gold award and the prestigious Amateur Photographer Reader Product of the Year show that this is model is rated very highly. Stock is now available and we are excited to find out what people think when theybuy, own and use this product

Why talk about the A77 when Whatdigitalcamera was only talking about the discontinued DSLR line? Truth is that all DSLR are officially not listed on Sony’s websites:
Sony A900 at Amazon, Sonystore, Adorama, B&H, J&R, eBay.
Sony A850 at Amazon, Sonystore, Adorama, B&H, J&R, eBay.
Sony A580 at Amazon, Sonystore, Adorama, B&H, J&R, eBay.
I still hope I misunderstood the Sony statement and that there we be really new DSLR cameras (with optical viewfinder!). But according to our sources there is no new DSLR coming this year
icon_sad.gif

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have seen that too.. a Sony user on a night walk was complaining that he couldn't see some subjects, and was asking some of us to hold flashlights so he could try to get some shots. lol! I suggested he get a Nikon!

He probably was not using the viewfinder or the viewfinder was NOT the OLED.:lmao::lmao:

Gee, you guys love to be misleading as in NO DETAILS

skieur

I would suggest that if Sony is dropping the DSLR, then the A99 will probably be several leaps ahead of the A77 as a full frame 36meg. camera with no bayer filter on the sensor.

skieur

As for the whole "DSLRs are on the way out" I highly doubt this. Mirrorless have a long way to go before video input can equal or beat a mirror box (and be fitted economically inside a DSLR body).

No, they do not have a long way to go in video, they are already there with A77 and will surpass that with the A99. The DSLR mirror is starting to limit further development in terms of size, speed, less noise, less vibration, etc. The fact that it is a mechanical system in an electronic digital camera means that potential for obsolescence is quite high.

Sony made lead in that direction but if the marketplace reacts positively, then Nikon and Canon will follow suit, like they have done in the past.

skieur

Soo now your claiming that Nikon and Canon have copied Sony in the past? Get a grip of yourself, Man! The new D4 is a copy is it? I don't know why your posts always have to go the route of downhill skiing.

Gee, your posts demonstrate your ignorance! Where do you think LIVE VIEW came from??...Sony

skieur

skieur

Soo now your claiming that Nikon and Canon have copied Sony in the past? Get a grip of yourself, Man! The new D4 is a copy is it? I don't know why your posts always have to go the route of downhill skiing.

Gee, your posts demonstrate your ignorance! Where do you think LIVE VIEW came from??...Sony

skieur

Care to cite facts on that?

From wikipedia:

The first DSLR to use live view for framing preview only was the fixed-lens Olympus E-10 from 2000. The first interchangeable-lens DSLR to use a live preview was the Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro, which was launched in October 2004.[SUP][2][/SUP] Its "Live Image" mode could display a live, black-and-white preview of the subject that could be magnified for manual focusing purposes, although the preview was limited to a duration of thirty seconds.[SUP][3][/SUP] It was followed in early 2005 by the Canon EOS 20Da, a special version of the Canon EOS 20D with modifications for astrophotography, which included a similar focus preview feature.

I think he is referring to the Sony Camcorder which had something considered "live viewish" way before DSLRs..... Sony was an early (the first ?) to deliver a consumer focused camcorder to the marketplace. Live preview in DSLRs was primarily driven by the emergence video functionality in a DSLR.

BUT!!!!

Remember Sony did not really become a major player in Still photography until the acquisition of Minolta much later than the camcorder.... so I wouldn't make Sony out to be the trend setter... far from it. In fact, this acquisition didn't occur until 2006. By that time, there were numerous DSLRs already with live view.

Last edited:
to be honest i could care less, sony dslr's are nothing special, when their dslrs are nice their optics are far behind nikon's. It is nice to have competitors for your main brand tho as it keeps the pressure on them.

I have never used sony dslr's but have used tons of previous products they've come out with, they were all annoying had crap software and everything was propriatary. Memory stick format, sonic stage, mini discs were nice but large and expensive for the time, and they still used sonic stage.

If sony got rid of propriatary formats and crappy software they could have some great products.

skieur

Canon tried it and it was crap, last week i did a studio night and the only Sony user could not see the subject :lol: through his wonderful veiwfinder

You really are misleading. Canon tried it a while ago without the OLED viewfinder and any of the improvements that Sony used. Why are you also reluctant to provide details as to model and situation. PROBABLY TO CONTINUE TO BE MISLEADING!!

skieur

Gary hasnt misled people into believing he is a professional photographer though, his photographic skills are VERY VERY GOOD! He is the pro that you wish you were pal.

skieur

Yes the D4 is a copy of a Sony camera that is exactly what he's saying. Come on don't be ridculous. Why do you guy keep baiting these trolls? As ridculous as Skiuer and Argy get, you and O Hey Tyler are getting just as disruptive.

:lol: You may be right, but I get sick of complete FAKES coming onto the internet showing us test charts all the time. Argie only takes photographs when it's warm outside and SKIER is a professional photographer WITHOUT a website or any form of evidence that he is a working pro apart from bizarre stories.

Yes the D4 is a copy of a Sony camera that is exactly what he's saying. Come on don't be ridculous. Why do you guy keep baiting these trolls? As ridculous as Skiuer and Argy get, you and O Hey Tyler are getting just as disruptive.

:lol: You may be right, but I get sick of complete FAKES coming onto the internet showing us test charts all the time. Argie only takes photographs when it's warm outside and SKIER is a professional photographer WITHOUT a website or any form of evidence that he is a working pro apart from bizarre stories.

And Nikon Josh who like sending private message to young men, and get mad if ignored. lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back