Sony's new 25MP full frame sensor

Dx sized lense? cant they use some sort of magnification with an element behind the regular P&S lense?

This can be done but the image quality in digital would suffer greatly. A digital sensor only accepts light perpendicular to the sensor surface. (with film this is not an issue) The more of an angle the light strikes the sensor, the less light is converted into the digital signal. The result is a bright center and falling intensity as you approach the corners. The fall-off is greater the closer the rear element is to the sensor.

I have a film hasselblad, I never new they are still manufactured, saw one while browsing dSLR's on B&H, the specs of one said 39MP and the sensor size is two times that of a regular dSLR,im sure the pixel size would be bigger on that, who makes those sensors?
A lot of the big sensors (Hasselblad, for instance) are made by Kodak.
A lot of fashion and product work is shot with these medium-format digitals.
Very true. And the 25 MP sensor in the Blad and Mayima are both Kodak, the same chip. And at vastly differing system prices. Fact is Hasselblad was sold around 10 years ago and a lot of the marketing decisions relating to there migration to digital have been questionable. Not the decision to go digital, they had too or fold. But the H series has a lot of issues in my opinion. The 500 bodies with a phase one back I believe have a better IQ. But they needed to make the H series AF and AE to keep abreast of the market. The quality is not Blad quality IMO, just the price is up to Blad expectations.

(Sorry for the OT rant)

Most reactions

Back