Soon to be newbie DSLR user

rottie98

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody,
I just signed up the other day, looking at alot of photos and info on this site. Very impressive. I have been using a point and shoot camera for about 5 years and I have been looking at getting a nikon d5000.
I have a few questions that I am a little confused on. I looked around on this site and nikons site but couldnt find anything.
My question is on the lenses. I was looking to get the 18-55 mm and later down the road maybe the 55 - 200. when looking at these lenses I noticed that some of the letters are AF and AF-S , I think what that means is the AF-S has a auto focus motor in the lense itself so if that is correct what does AF mean?
What is the difference between DX and FX format?
Basically all I want is the d5000 with the VR and auto focus, could somebody shed some light on this. The reason I am so concerned about this I saw a review on this lense on amazon. here is the review.

stars-1-0._V192241078_.gif
AF...what AF?, December 23, 2009
This review is from: Nikon D5000 12.3 MP DX Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens and 2.7-inch Vari-angle LCD (Electronics)
So you want AF to actually work? Well then you're gonna have to pony up the extra dough for the "AF-S" lenses because it won't work with "AF" models. The extra cost associated with the "AF-S" lenses along with the much more limited offering make this camera a bust. If you insist on sticking with Nikon then pony up the extra several hundred for the D90. Otherwise I would say go with the Canon EOS Rebel T1i. It costs a bit more than the D5000, but you'll more than make the money back on lenses.

Hello everybody,
I just signed up the other day, looking at alot of photos and info on this site. Very impressive. I have been using a point and shoot camera for about 5 years and I have been looking at getting a nikon d5000.
I have a few questions that I am a little confused on. I looked around on this site and nikons site but couldnt find anything.
My question is on the lenses. I was looking to get the 18-55 mm and later down the road maybe the 55 - 200. when looking at these lenses I noticed that some of the letters are AF and AF-S , I think what that means is the AF-S has a auto focus motor in the lense itself so if that is correct what does AF mean?
What is the difference between DX and FX format?
Basically all I want is the d5000 with the VR and auto focus, could somebody shed some light on this. The reason I am so concerned about this I saw a review on this lense on amazon. here is the review.

stars-1-0._V192241078_.gif
AF...what AF?, December 23, 2009
This review is from: Nikon D5000 12.3 MP DX Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens and 2.7-inch Vari-angle LCD (Electronics)
So you want AF to actually work? Well then you're gonna have to pony up the extra dough for the "AF-S" lenses because it won't work with "AF" models. The extra cost associated with the "AF-S" lenses along with the much more limited offering make this camera a bust. If you insist on sticking with Nikon then pony up the extra several hundred for the D90. Otherwise I would say go with the Canon EOS Rebel T1i. It costs a bit more than the D5000, but you'll more than make the money back on lenses.

D5000 needs AF-S lenses to be able to auto focus. AF-S lenses have focusing motors built into the lens it self. Other cameras can use AF lenses because they have the focusing motors built into the camera body themselves.

AF-S lenses are a little bit more expensive, and the selection is less. However, it's been reported that AF-S lens and camera combos focus faster than AF lens and cameras with built in AF motors. Its also said that Nikon is eventually going to switch to all AF-S camera lines, but I'm not sure how true that is.

DX and FX are different type of sensors. DX is Nikon's crop sensor line and FX is their "full frame" sensor line. D5000 has a DX sensor, but can accept lenses that are designed for FX sensor. However, when using a lens designed for a full frame sensor, you will get 1.5x the magnification. so a 100mm focal lenth FX lens will act like a 150mm on a DX(D5000) sensor.

FX sensors cannot use DX lenses with blacked out outer edges

DX and FX are different type of sensors. DX is Nikon's crop sensor line and FX is their "full frame" sensor line. D5000 has a DX sensor, but can accept lenses that are designed for FX sensor. However, when using a lens designed for a full frame sensor, you will get 1.5x the magnification. so a 100mm focal lenth FX lens will act like a 150mm on a DX(D5000) sensor.

FX sensors cannot use DX lenses with blacked out outer edges

All lenses have the 1.5x magnification when used on the D5000, not just the full frame lenses. Therefore, when using your kit 18-55mm lens you are the same field of view as a 27-82mm on a full frame camera.

Otherwise, that looks about right. I would ignore that negative review, but don't let that stop you considering the t1i either. They're both good cameras.

Edit:
Check out these link for more info:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...lery/99621-beginners-do-not-buy-d40-d40x.html
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/crop-factor.htm

Thank you guys , you really cleared that up for me. :thumbsup:

All lenses have the 1.5x magnification when used on the D5000, not just the full frame lenses. Therefore, when using your kit 18-55mm lens you are the same field of view as a 27-82mm on a full frame camera.

Otherwise, that looks about right. I would ignore that negative review, but don't let that stop you considering the t1i either. They're both good cameras.

wrong

the 18-55 DX lens on a DX body has the same field of view as a 18-55 FX lens on a FX body,

DX lenses are made with the rear element closer to the sensor so they match up for focal purposes in the same manner from a focal length standpoint as a fully FX system would with further distances.

there's proof it's closer because there are certain old FX lenses which will crack the mirror if you attempt to mount them on a DX body, they stick too far in.

it's worth noting the Ken Rockwell site linked is referring to a hypothetical same FX lens on a FX and DX body. you need to keep this (the control) the same in order to properly explain the sensor size difference.

wrong

So not wrong ;)

Nikon DX 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 VR Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Maximum format size DX
Focal length 18-55mm
35mm equivalent focal length (APS-C) 27-82.5mm

......AF-S lenses are a little bit more expensive, and the selection is less.......
It's not that cut and dried and depends on the lens focal range you are looking at.

AF lenses generally cost more than AF-S lenses, and there are more AF-S lenses in Nikons current lens line up than there are AF lenses.

As an example:

The AF-S 35 mm f/1.8G is $200 while the AF 35 mm f/2D is nearly twice more expensive at $390.

The AF-S 55-200 mm f/4-5.6G is $200 without VR and $250 with VR.
The AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D, no VR, is $1225.

While the DX lenses are made for the DX bodies the focal length is still in the same scale as a FX lens(full frame).

The proof is in the EXIF information provided by the camera when you take a picture.

Image from my photo stream on flickr
Flickr: More detail about Mackinac Island port view

Two parts from the EXIF:
Focal Length: 18 mm
Focal Length In 35mm Format: 27 mm

Most reactions

Back