SOOO EXCITED!!!

Welcome to the dark side. bwuahahaha.

Congrats.

Good choice Flora - I would do two things. Check out KenRockwell.com on setting up this camera and buy the Magic Lantern Guide on the Nikon D40 - I got mine at Barnes&Noble.
You will love this camera!
Have Fun.

All advices from loyal and honest advisers here to buy this and that will cost you around $3000 more :lol:.

Congrat anyway. Don't forget to charge the battery first, that thing won't work without it.

Have fun and happy birthday.

I recommend just going out and shooting with what you have for months. Then you will know what you want &/or need.

Derrick

Good choice Flora - I would do two things. Check out KenRockwell.com on setting up this camera and buy the Magic Lantern Guide on the Nikon D40 - I got mine at Barnes&Noble.
You will love this camera!
Have Fun.
Use KR's site as a reference and a bit of a laugh. There is some good stuff there, but keep it in perspective.

I have also bought a Magic Lantern Guide for my D80, but I found that Thom Hogans Guides to be much more informative.

Extra battery and extra memory is all you need at the moment. (rebates on offer)

Tonight will be the longest night you have ever experienced...

And you'll probably get it UPS tomorrow at like, 2pm (it should be here at 7 a.m.!), and go out shooting in the horrible lighting conditions of the midday sun.

And none of it will matter once you have that beautiful camera in your hands :)

I think getting a good grip on your gear is a good idea before you go out buying more :)

Use what you have extensively for a couple weeks and see what you need afterwards. Bag (although a regular backpack and a sweater for padding will work fine) and memory are all you need now.

There are tons of online resources you can look up. Get very familiar with all the aspects of exposure: Aperture, shutter speed, ISO.

Tonight will be the longest night you have ever experienced...

And you'll probably get it UPS tomorrow at like, 2pm (it should be here at 7 a.m.!), and go out shooting in the horrible lighting conditions of the midday sun.

And none of it will matter once you have that beautiful camera in your hands :)

You are SO right...my feelings exactly!

I think getting a good grip on your gear is a good idea before you go out buying more :)

Use what you have extensively for a couple weeks and see what you need afterwards. Bag (although a regular backpack and a sweater for padding will work fine) and memory are all you need now.

There are tons of online resources you can look up. Get very familiar with all the aspects of exposure: Aperture, shutter speed, ISO.

Great Advice
I spent more time in my first month buying things i didnt need and ended up reselling than i did actually learning how to you use my camera, big mistake.

I wouldn't wrap my camera in a sweatshirt -- I wrapped mine in a cheap towel when I first got it and a lot of lint and stuff got into my camera. However, if you buy a camera bag, I guarantee it will be too small in a few months when you start buying lenses and stuff! :)

When I first got my D40, I spent a lot of time reading the manual and researching exposure on the internet (maybe my nerd side takes over sometimes, haha! :D). I think understanding all the features and how everything works on the camera will make it a lot more fun and less frustrating.

I wouldn't wrap my camera in a sweatshirt -- I wrapped mine in a cheap towel when I first got it and a lot of lint and stuff got into my camera. However, if you buy a camera bag, I guarantee it will be too small in a few months when you start buying lenses and stuff! :)

When I first got my D40, I spent a lot of time reading the manual and researching exposure on the internet (maybe my nerd side takes over sometimes, haha! :D). I think understanding all the features and how everything works on the camera will make it a lot more fun and less frustrating.

I purchased 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson, which has been extremely helpful in getting a grasp on the basics...I def don't think it's nerdy to fully research something that you are passionate about...learning everything you can about whatever hobby you are into will make it that more enjoyable. Thank for the suggestions.

I learned everything the hard way.

It was a blast

Most reactions

Back