Sooo i decided to try a water drop pic too....

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cosmoepic, Jan 28, 2009.

1. cosmoepic

cosmoepic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've seen numerous posts about water drops (RyanWard inspired me) and I realized I've never tried to shoot one, and lemme tell you...

it took forever.

i took over a hundred shots and got this one and another, this was my fav of the two. I know the "splash up" drops are a bit out of focus but i was doing this with a bottle of visine as a dropper then reaching down to shoot the pic standing about the vase. Ridiculous. haha

C&C?

[​IMG]

2. MBasile

MBasile TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    looks great minus being a bit out of focus, but I guess thats something that just takes practice (I've never even tried one of these shots!) How did you set up the lighting?

3. cosmoepic

cosmoepic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    used flash and a white light to the right with a poster board behind to bounce off of i have another one thats more of a stream of water coming back up ill post that in a moment too

thanks for the kind words though

4. zubair851

zubair851 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    nice shot... why don't you sharp (photoshop) it a little...

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, that splash up ought to have been FULLY in focus. That's essential for these photos. Only a fraction out of focus and they no longer work.

6. cosmoepic

cosmoepic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    heres the second one i took more in focus:[​IMG]

how do you get the focus to be sooo sharp on the drop?

7. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In my experiment, I had the tap keep dripping all the time (look up the set-up in the links I provided earlier), so I could manually focus on the droplet and it's "landing space" ... with the lens in its macro position, I only had a DOF of maybe 5mm, too. And it worked well on one day, and absolutely NOT on the next, when I seem to have had a "crick in the eye" and couldn't focus properly at all... :roll: ;)

8. cosmoepic

cosmoepic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    got ya ill look into it, how does the 2nd pic look? i think its alittle "cleaner" than the other.

if you read above i had the cam as focused as i could while holding a bottle of visine above the vase counting to 5 then taking the shot on 5

it was miserable and im sure i looked like a moron doing it, but for my first attempt at this type of photography im happy

9. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I understand why you are happy, and I would have been happy, too, more even with the second, as it is more in focus.
    (And no sharpening in PP will "save" that first one...)

At first, also I tried to jump to and fro between dripping out of something into something and the camera and it did not work, until I started playing in the kitchen with the tap dripping continually for me, so I could stay with the camera and shoot.

10. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, and with regards to composition ... it really depends on what you want to go for: when I took mine, I was also interested in seeing what effect the droplets would make on the surface and the rings they would create, and I hope to get most of those effects into my frame, hence I tried to keep the landing droplet in the middle, so the circles would not be cut off by either side. But if you take other effects of the dripping for more important to you, you may as well compose your pics the way you do, leaving the righthand side ALL empty.

11. TheUndisputed

TheUndisputed TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The second one is better. I would have kept doing it until there was a larger separation between the back splash and the droplet. Other than that, pretty good shot. Oh yeah, it needs more light. Sort of under exposed.