Sooooo, what about marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do believe that being altered in some way can spark creativity and inspiration. It can help someone break away from inhibitions and engage in a little non-linear thinking that then results in connections being made that might not have been made otherwise. Having said that, I believe one has to be in more control of the process if one wants to then do something more productive with that inspiration. Even Hemingway advised us to "Write drunk, edit sober."

Since you like quoting...

Yes, you mentioned photography:

I certainly hope this offends nobody, but there is not quite more I enjoy doing than getting really high and heading out with my camera. I don't smoke pot to escape any sort of reality, but more to bring reality into better view, at least for myself. I think I'm able to "see" what's around me better and to be able to appreciate it for what it is and see more of a photograph in it, instead of walking by looking for the obvious, easy picture.

But then you asked us all this question:

By no means am I a pot-head. I am a productive member of society that has responsibilities and handles them well; I just happen to enjoy, and appreciate, the effects of marijuana when a flame is taken to it and the smoke is inhaled into my lungs.....Anybody else?

It seems as though the mention of photography was merely an example or an anecdote to introduce the topic of marijuana. Then you asked a question about whether or not we like to smoke marijuana, and NOT about photography. If you wanted us to discuss the effects of mind-altering substances on our photography, perhaps you should have been more precise with your question.

I wonder if anybody else's post's are being scrutinized line by line like mine is.
Maybe the problem is that I'm not a professional photographer and I dont have links to my very well-done photographs like you all do.
I enjoy looking at photography and decided to buy a decent camera so I could learn to take the photos that I very much enjoy looking at. I'm sure if I posted up some incredible photographs, it would piss you all off, and probably shut you up. But the fact is, my photos are very amateurish, and that shouldn't matter. We are all here for the love of photography and for the people that are judging me for how I enjoy going about it, you need to reevaluate why you are here. Is it to show off, or is it to discuss your hobby, or profession?

I wish the kid had been wearing different pants, I wish I had blurred out the background, I wish I was better at editing....but what I do like is the mood. The look on the kids face and his slumped manner keep my eyes attached to him and makes me ask what is going through his mind.
Any picture that can make me ask a question is a success in my book.

Yup, just your standard sunset, yup, its not pin sharp, but what I like is the wind blowing the water on the left side of the pier, but still on the left.

how about this for a lucky shot

BTW, if the goal was to get me to move to a different website to discuss photography, consider yourself successful

I wonder if anybody else's post's are being scrutinized line by line like mine is.
Maybe the problem is that I'm not a professional photographer and I dont have links to my very well-done photographs like you all do.
I enjoy looking at photography and decided to buy a decent camera so I could learn to take the photos that I very much enjoy looking at. I'm sure if I posted up some incredible photographs, it would piss you all off, and probably shut you up. But the fact is, my photos are very amateurish, and that shouldn't matter. We are all here for the love of photography and for the people that are judging me for how I enjoy going about it, you need to reevaluate why you are here. Is it to show off, or is it to discuss your hobby, or profession?

Um...why are you being so defensive? Were you not the one who invited discussion about the use of marijuana? Did you only want positive responses, or did you want real answers to your questions?

Ok, well you may not want to hear this honestly you've kind of come at this pretty hard - and frankly you've gotten more than a little silly and downright combative about which forum this should be posted in, etc. So I guess you can't really be to upset that people are taking you at your word about the intent/scope of your question.

Not a pro either. Strictly dedicated amateur.

I'm sure if I posted up some incredible photographs, it would piss you all off, and probably shut you up.

Why would you think so? I can list quite a few people here that do post some incredible images regularly. It's never pissed me off, in fact that's why I'm here - to learn from some of these folks and better my own skills. Again frankly again the very nature of your post seems unusually combative.

We are all here for the love of photography and for the people that are judging me for how I enjoy going about it, you need to reevaluate why you are here. Is it to show off, or is it to discuss your hobby, or profession?

Well to be fair you brought up your drug use, and from what I can see you were being "judged" based on statements you made in regards to that, not on your photography. Me I'm a whatever floats your boat kind of guy, I don't really care what you do or how you do it as long as it doesn't impact me and mine.

We are all here for the love of photography ...Is it to show off, or is it to discuss your hobby, or profession?
Yes to all of that, and yes, including whatever you use to enhance your creativity. Some of us are very much against it, some are tolerant, but we are all interested in photography. So just buck up, ignore the Debbie Downers and keep on shooting. And posting.

When it's legal, I'll be right there with you. But at the moment, the biggest risk associated with marijuana use, it's legal consequences, is far too great for me to afford.

I think it's pretty funny that people get all in the "disagreeing" mode here. I've seen plenty of discussions about alcohol, and at least one about drinking in the darkroom, and nobody goes on about "lacking responsibility".

Heck, the majority of ab-ex artists drank themselves to death, we've almost come to expect that sort of thing. At last pot isn't going to kill you. Unless you believe the British tabloids.

Last edited:
We are all here for the love of photography ...Is it to show off, or is it to discuss your hobby, or profession?
Yes to all of that, and yes, including whatever you use to enhance your creativity. Some of us are very much against it, some are tolerant, but we are all interested in photography. So just buck up, ignore the Debbie Downers and keep on shooting. And posting.

Debbie Downer? wow. See I've always considered myself more of a Nancy Naysayer really. Lol

look at it this way zep...
you have already gotten more than twice the responses I usually get when I post a picture.

look out pixmedic. Pretty soon you'll be getting call after call of marijuana-related photography injuries.

The sky has already started falling in Denver, you know. Seattle and Portland will follow soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back