Sooooooooooooo depressing!

what is this "brick and mortar" I keep hearing about? is it a popular website? what is the url?

#confusedmillennial

I used to have three "real" camera stores in my metro area... one in my current town near the south end of the metro area, one in a town near the north end of the metro area, and another north of town -- but a bit farther east.

One of them had to close when the owner of their building decided they weren't making enough on the lease and raised the rates. The camera shop couldn't afford the new rates and closed up. That building has been empty ever since (so the landlord really screwed themselves going from making "some" money to making "no" money). The other stores declined and I'd say they're "ok" but not great. They tend to stock popular items but it seemed like a lot of what I'd look for were in the "we can get it" but they didn't actually have it (I understanding... hanging on to inventory that isn't moving is expensive.)

Meanwhile a new camera store popped up on Google maps in a town not far from me (on the west side of the city... but only about 20 minutes from where I live). I went over to check them out and their store is impressive... so far they actually have everything I've wanted "in stock" and they have a LOT of options. As such, I try to buy from them as often as possible because I like having a store that can stay in business and actually carries what I need.

No ding on the big internet shops but I can't walk into the big internet shops if I want to put my hands on the gear to evaluate it before I buy it.

The one thing that Wolf seems to be capitalizing on with the store I mentioned is the avalability of the classes and the "hands on" demonstrations. it's like they're raising a new crop of customers every week. Being able to look, touch and try an expensive piece of equipment is a great selling point

The one thing that Wolf seems to be capitalizing on with the store I mentioned is the avalability of the classes and the "hands on" demonstrations. it's like they're raising a new crop of customers every week. Being able to look, touch and try an expensive piece of equipment is a great selling point
Makes sense to me... I'm always willing to pay a little extra for a hands-on, not to mention a real, physical location to return to if there's a problem!

PDX is small, like the 28th largest city in the USA...we have Pro Photo Supply, which has a wide,wide assortment of cool stuff for sale, plus the state's largest rental inventory. Lots of Canon, Nikon, various mirrorless cameras and lenses, large assortment of Tamron lenses for camera-maker cameras, some Sigma ART primes, the new 200-500 and 150-600 type zoom, lot of used older-gen pro gear Hasselblad, Mamiya, Leica, other film-era gear sold used,mostly. Higher-end consignment stuff is neat to look at, in-person or on-line.Oregon has NO sales tax to any buyers. One of the few states with NO states sales tax. Pro Photo Supply is a far cry from the son-of-Monty store. but I really feel for the independent camera stores...they have had a very tough time the last 15 years.

I really DISLIKE buying from the Big 5 internet vendors.

I've been wanting to open up a little coffee-tea-beer-wine bar. I might make Son-of-Monty an offer. I think he owns the store.
Yeahbut... won't you just drink all your stock and be out of business by the end of the week? :confused-55:
My contribution to stock turnover will keep all the booze fresh.

Last edited:
PDX is small, like the 28th largest city in the USA...we have Pro Photo Supply, which has a wide,wide assortment of cool stuff for sale, plus the state's largest rental inventory. Lots of Canon, Nikon, various mirrorless cameras and lenses, large assortment of Tamron lenses for camera-maker cameras, some Sigma ART primes, the new 200-500 and 150-600 type zoom, lot of used older-gen pro gear Hasselblad, Mamiya, Leica, other film-era gear sold used,mostly. Higher-end consignment stuff is neat to look at, in-person or on-line.Oregon has NO sales tax to any buyers. One of the few states with NO states sales tax. Pro Photo Supply is a far cry from the son-of-Monty store. but I really feel for the independent camera stores...they have had a very tough time the last 15 years.

I really DISLIKE buying from the Big 5 internet vendors.
While OC Camera carries Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, et al ... I think it derives the bulk of its revenues from internet sales centered on used Leica equipment.

If you're ever in Atlanta and have couple of hours to spare check out Wings Camera just off I85. They buy a lot of Estates, so most of what I saw was used but a lot of high end. Easy to spend a couple hours browsing and talking with the owner.

Gary A. said:
While OC Camera carries Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, et al ... I think it derives the bulk of its revenues from internet sales centered on used Leica equipment.

Yeah, they might...from what I see, sales are still pretty good for used Leica cameras, lenses, and accessories. Such wonderfully made stuff! Although these days it is hard to find in many places, Leica gear does have a very faithful following: made to last, made for quality over price...real old-fashioned craftsmanship!

I like to try things I only heared about and sometimes I buy things because the temptation is overwhelming. A reason to avoid camera stores but also a reason to avoid ebay and amazon...

Gary A. said:

Yeah, they might...from what I see, sales are still pretty good for used Leica cameras, lenses, and accessories. Such wonderfully made stuff! Although these days it is hard to find in many places, Leica gear does have a very faithful following: made to last, made for quality over price...real old-fashioned craftsmanship!
He is very careful with his Leica stock. The real good stuff is stored in a giant safe and he makes sure the serial number on the box matches the camera, et cetera.

Recently, I purchased a M4P from OC Camera. All my photog friends were amazed at the construction.

Last edited:
All-Promaster inventory..sounds like the place is on very thin financial footing.

All-Promaster inventory..sounds like the place is on very thin financial footing.
That's my guess. 25 years ago they were THE place to go outside of Vancouver. They carried EVERYTHING, and top names as well as 'consumer-grade' stuff. The staff used to be VERY knowledgeable and could offer advice on lighting, lenses, bodies, techniques... now I don't think there's a serious photographer in the bunch.

Almost every single camera store I go into has a huge PM inventory. The only one that doesn't is a little camera store in Dearborn, MI where he thrives on used stuff. Lot's of high end film stuff too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back