SOORC Challenge!

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
That's Straight Out Of Raw Converter. Absolutely no editing permitted. Just load that raw file and press the default profile.

Can you do it? Are you a good enough photographer to kick that camera JPEG processing crutch? Think you can bring back a proper exposure without chimping that camera JPEG. Duct tape over your LCD -- DO IT!

Can you shoot without that massive pile of built-in camera software backing you up? No ADL? No HTP? No Auto DR? No scene modes? No film simulations? Can you be a real photographer and not a chimp?

Just you, the camera, and the sensor -- hardcore! :encouragement:

I'll start:

Joe

soorc_zps7a11ae90.jpg

Nice Joe. Sounds like a fun challenge, Can mine be a full frame shot of an 18% gray card?:345:

if that isnt edited than how did it get a frame?

Shitty that my PC is out of commission at the moment. I don't use ADL, No HTP(not even sure what this is), No Auto DR, scene modes, or film simulations anyways.

I wonder what the best way to emulate raw in a custom picture setting.

I don't know how to understand this thread except as satire.

i shot this early today just randomly for kicks does it count?
BRI_0597.JPG

You got that -- I wasn't too subtle then?

Joe
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I was just running into too much of the SOOC ignorance and foolishness lately and had to vent a little. The other thing that happened recently was an encounter I had concerning Adobe's (LR) tendency to display a default rendering on the flat side. Just because Adobe does it that way doesn't mean Moses had that at the bottom of the list as #11. I can't tell you how many photographers I've met now who actually believe that a raw file is by nature "flat and dull" because that's their experience using LR and they can't figure out that what they're first seeing is a software interpretation. I've actually had photographers tell me that a raw file default-opened in LR is how a raw file looks unedited.

In digital photography there is no special default rendering that can be referenced as non-interpreted (unless you want to see it without a tone curve and the CFA still in place). So I showed this photographer how C1 and or in the above case RT produce very different default renderings of the same file compared with LR -- all, including SOOC, just different software interpretations. RT's default for the above file just happens to come out looking pretty good (my version is better).

Joe

Shitty that my PC is out of commission at the moment. I don't use ADL, No HTP(not even sure what this is), No Auto DR, scene modes, or film simulations anyways.

emulate raw?

Joe

Raw, straight out of the camera. Ok, I added a touch of green
12163_0_zpsbaca0bfd.jpg

emulate raw?

Joe

Not sure how else to put it. I wish my camera would be able to display the raw file with no picture setting but it can't.

Raw, straight out of the camera. Ok, I added a touch of green
12163_0_zpsbaca0bfd.jpg

You can actually look at a raw file as an image prior to any software processing beyond the A/D conversion applied to the sensor signal. To show that here I have to at least convert the photo to a JPEG. Raw files are in fact green because there are two green filters for every one red and blue filter. Really SOOC for the above image looks like this:

sooc.jpg

Anything beyond that is some form of software processing and interpretation. I also re-sized it to show here. If you look at the original full-size and enlarge it you can see the CFA still in place. For curiosity here it is: SOOC.JPG

Joe

You got that -- I wasn't too subtle then?

Joe
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I was just running into too much of the SOOC ignorance and foolishness lately and had to vent a little. The other thing that happened recently was an encounter I had concerning Adobe's (LR) tendency to display a default rendering on the flat side. Just because Adobe does it that way doesn't mean Moses had that at the bottom of the list as #11. I can't tell you how many photographers I've met now who actually believe that a raw file is by nature "flat and dull" because that's their experience using LR and they can't figure out that what they're first seeing is a software interpretation. I've actually had photographers tell me that a raw file default-opened in LR is how a raw file looks unedited.

In digital photography there is no special default rendering that can be referenced as non-interpreted (unless you want to see it without a tone curve and the CFA still in place). So I showed this photographer how C1 and or in the above case RT produce very different default renderings of the same file compared with LR -- all, including SOOC, just different software interpretations. RT's default for the above file just happens to come out looking pretty good (my version is better).

Joe

What do you mean by SOOC ignorance and foolishness? Just wondering. The only reason people think raw files are "dull" is because we can't see what the file looks like while our in the field. Our cameras only show us the image with a picture setting.

Not to split hairs Joe, but you did say "absolutely no editing", so lets see it NOT converted to a jpg:biglaugh:

sounds like you are back to the same ole argument joe. As the camera does minimal processing equivilent to minimal dark room processing just required to produce a image, it is the same as extensive post processing which would be the equivalent of extensive dark room editing. so basically we are right back to discussing degrees of post processing. whats the point? shooting sooc jpeg is about the closest thing i can find to instant film or dropping off the rolls to be developed but some are okay with that. If you notice my adjustments in the metadata, if you understand how it will be rendered and adjust as such you are still engaged in photography by controlling that outcome of rendering to a degree.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back