Sorry folks, one more question before my big upgrade...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by paulpippin29, Jan 5, 2009.

1. paulpippin29

paulpippin29 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Filters... do I need them, or should I ignore them? I'm reading alot about them, and seems as if they do have a place. I'm running into one filter in particular, which is the 58 mm UV filter, which can be used on the new XSI I'm getting. Do I need this filter? I love to shoot outdoors, particularly shots of the sun and sky.

I also ran across a "HAZE" filter, and of course, several "colored" filters, such as blue, red, orange, green, etc... Do I need any of these filters at all? In particular, do I need the UV filter that I keep coming across so much?

Thanks as always for everyone's help... you folks are the best, and I'm sorry for the constant barrage of newbie questions :( :)

2. hankejp

hankejp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you probably won't need any of the colored filters. Perhaps if you shoot some black and white pictures. I would get a circular polarizer filter.

3. jwsciontc

jwsciontc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yes a circular polarizer filter for shooting outdoors and especially blue skies and stuff. I have a UV one that i keep on my lenses at all times for protection

4. CAG76

CAG76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As a matter of face I have a Canon XSi and have a 58 mm UV filter. So far it does nothing for me, but I haven't taken any landscape or city scape shots in the haze. I hear and read that a UV filter is only for lens protection and haze reduction. I only paid $16.00 for mine at a Cord Camera store. Now those Polarizer lenses is what I am wanting. They do nice things to color saturation and glare. They are not cheap. I need to save up and get one of those.

-Christopher

5. Aye-non Oh-non Imus

Aye-non Oh-non Imus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First off, the filter has absolutely nothing to do with you having an XSi body. It is ALL about the lens.

Now, my thoughts are to forget the UV / HAZE filters, but there are a couple of circumstances for them.... few and far between IMO. If you are intent on getting a filter for "protection", get a clear glass filter.... not a UV or Haze. I do not use them personally, but given the right scenerio (dirt, mud, bikes, horses.... anything that throws mud) they have a purpose.

The first and foremost filter, again IMO, is a circular polarizer (CP, CPL, CPoL....). Here is where you might want to spend the money. B+W is my first port of call, Hoya and Tiffen make some decent filters also. Look for the multi-coated (MRC).

Lee, Singh-Ray and HiTech are a few other nanes to throw out. I'm sure there are others.