Sorry not again

studentnurse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

What camera should I get?

Let me explain.

I am a complete beginner and looking for a camera. I have got a course in London I am going to in September and one more locally as well. For the courses they have cameras that I can buy that have what is needed for the course.

Anyway I am looking at the Canon EOS 1100D

So is it any good or can you recommend anything better?

Thanks

What's your price point? What cameras are they offering for the course?

I do not have a massive camera budget. However the ones that they say that work for the course are:

You must have a Digital SLR Camera (DSLR) or a Pro-Compact camera with FULLY MANUAL EXPOSURE MODE “being able to control ISO, Shutter Speeds and Apertures manually”.

Examples:

DSLR cameras:
Canon: 700D, 600D, 1100D, 60D, 5D Mark I/II/III, 7D, 1D.
Nikon: D7000/7100, D3100, D5100, D90, D300S, D700, D800.
Sony: a900, a77, a55, a35.
Olympus: E-5
Pentax K-5 and Kr

Leica DSLR and Pro-Compact Cameras: M8, M9, V-Lux and D-Lux

Pro-Compact Cameras:
Canon Powershot G12, G11
Nikon: 1V1 and 1J1
Panasonic DMC cameras (With MANUAL EXPOSURE MODE)
Olympus PEN cameras

What is your budget? What do you want to get out of the camera?

The prices in that list range from several hundred to several thousand dollars.

If you want to keep this as a light hobby, I'd suggest a compact camera such as a Canon G12 or better. They have the features you will want, while still being portable and easy to use. Some have a hot shoe for a flash and can take pictures in RAW (which is great for editing).

If you want to get serious, then I'd suggest a DSLR or mirrorless. Any of the Canon/Nikon/Sony cameras should get you there. Go to a store and hold them. Go through their menus. Pick the one that works for you.

As Waday is asking, depends on your feeling.

Do you think it's going to be a short term hobby you don't want to invest too much, and just have fun? And stick with the camera kit lens? If so, one of the basic entry level DSLR models would work for you:
  • Nikon: D3200, or D3300 + 18-55mm kit lens
  • Canon: 1100D, or 1200D + 18-55mm kit lens
Do you think you will want to advance into photography and take it as a serious mid-term hobby? Get a second or a third lens in the future? If so, one of the advanced entry level DSLR models would work better for you:
  • Nikon: D5200, D5300, or D5500 + 18-55mm kit lens
  • Canon: 70D + 18-55mm kit lens
Or do you think you want to became a very serious long term enthusiast/semi-pro user? And build a full lens system to go with the camera in the future, including older/legacy lenses? If so, one of the enthusiast/semi-pro entry level DSLR models could be your option:
  • Nikon: D7100, or D7200 + 18-140mm kit lens
  • Canon: 7D Mark I, or 7D Mark II + 18-135mm kit lens
If you don't know, or are not so sure, and want to test it, get any of the basic entry level DSLR models above, once they are cheaper, and maybe you can upgrade later, if you want to.

Both Nikon and Canon are really good. Try them both in your hand before buying one or the other, just to see which one sits better ergonomically in your hand. I went with Nikon myself, as I believe they offer better options nowadays, being a better system, overall. But that's me.

Here's a good resource for rating cameras:
Camera Sensor Ratings by DxOMark - DxOMark

And here's a good resorce for rating lenses:
Camera Lens Ratings by DxOMark - DxOMark

Last edited:
I would buy a compact Nikon d-slr: D3200 or D3300, D5200 or D5300, or D7100.

Well OF COURSE what you want is a Canon 1D X or Nikon D4S. You also want the 24-70mm f/2.8 lenses and 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses. If you have unlimited wealth, then those flagship cameras are definitely your best choices! :wink:

On the other hand... if you have to pay for this out of your pocket and funds are limited, then we may have to go a bit lower in the price range.

So we're wondering... what might that price range be?

Here in the US, you can buy a "refurbished" DSLR which has the same warranty as a "new" DSLR and save a few pennies (ok, more than a "few" pennies.) The cameras are reconditioned by the manufacturers -- you aren't buying from a private seller where you have to worry if anything is missing and/or if everything actually works.

Some of the "pro" compact cameras can actually cost more than an entry level DSLR. While I have a few DSLR bodies, I also have a "pro" compact camera (advanced point & shoot) simply because there are some venues where bringing a DSLR is either impractical or simply not permitted (most concert venues won't allow any camera with a "removable lens", but would allow ANY compact camera regardless of lens or quality.)

I can speak to the differences in the Canon line, but not so much the Nikon line (I shoot Canon).

Canon's 1200D is the bottom of the entry range DSLR (we can still get the T3 aka "1100D" here in the US but I think it may be discontinued in Europe). The T6i aka 760D is the newest and high end of the "entry" range bodies and probably one of the best updates to the entry line in many years. This camera is noticeably better than its predecessors.

On the Canon side the 1*00D (1100D, 1200D) are the lowest price point bodies. The ***D bodies (760D, 750D, 700D, 650D, etc.) are the higher end of the entry-range. The **D bodes (70D, 60D, etc.) are the mid-level bodies (above all entry-range bodies.)

On the Nikon side, the D3*00 bodies are their lowest price point cameras. The D5*00 range are the higher end of the entry-range. The D7*00 are mid-level cameras.

A Canon 1200D or a Nikon D3300 are their most recent bodies at the low end of the entry range. These cameras will have the basics you need but not many extra features.

I wouldn't go above the entry-level DSLR's because even if you intend to pursue photography seriously you cannot know at this point what you really need in the way of advanced features. By buying something above entry level you may end up with a camera that doesn't have what you want in a couple of years and you'll have to move up from that, losing more money than if you started out lower. Essentially it would be a guessing game at this point.

Entry-level DSLR's are all very good cameras capable of doing everything most people interested in photography want to do. Even the compacts like the G11/12 can produce very good results and would be a good way to get started.

Thanks guys. I am basically looking for a camera where I can see what type of photography I really want to get into to. I also want to be able to do a bit of everything at least reasonably.

Thanks guys. I am basically looking for a camera where I can see what type of photography I really want to get into to. I also want to be able to do a bit of everything at least reasonably.

Even the basic entry level DSLR models. No way to go wrong.

Even the basic entry level DSLR models. No way to go wrong.
+1

I'll also +1 the entry level DSLR.

Look at a Nikon D3300 or a Canon 1200D -- with the kit lens (18-55mm f-3.5-5.6) which will provide a moderate zoom range, but nothing huge (moderate wide-angle to moderate telephoto -- a zoom range of around 0.6x zoom on the wide end, to almost (but not quite) 2x on the tele end.)

There are lenses with broader zoom range, but also at a higher price tag. If you're just dipping your toe in to test the water, you probably just want the basic entry "kit" lens.

Such a camera would provide you with all the basic essentials -- very few of the frills. This would keep the price to a minimum.

The cameras will include everything you need to go out and shoot EXCEPT a memory card.

My esteemed colleagues have given good advice. However, even the basic camera and kit lens will give you very, very good results. One of the things people learn about photography is that understanding the light, and controlling it, gives you the greatest improvement to the appearance of photos. Which means, understanding highlights and shadows, multiple light sources, balancing those light sources, etc., are usually the difference between those with experience and the beginners. If you give a high-end camera to someone who doesn't know these concepts, the image they will produce would be OK, but nothing particularly noteworthy. But in the hands of a knowledgeable and experienced photographer, even the basic equipment can give superb results.

I'd suggest getting one of the basic cameras already noted, learn how to use it, and discover the types of photography you really enjoy doing. Then let THAT guide your equipment buying. Portraiture has a different mix of equipment, compared to "street", compare to "macro", compared to sports. In fact, you may even end up getting into a different system than you start out with, IF you discover that another system is a better fit for what you end up doing. At this point, you don't even know the right questions to ask (and that's not a knock on you - that's the case for everyone starting out).

I'm sure, as you go through the courses, you'll find out what you're attracted to, and THEN we can start being more focused with gear suggestions.

I'm not a beginner to photography but new to DSlRs. Also I have and on and off interest in the hobby so I could not justify a large investment. I settled on the Nikon D5300 and found a deal on a kit that includes the 18-55mm as well as a 55-200mm.

For me this camera was the sweet spot for entry level. Plus if I find I don't use it, I expect I can easily sell it.

Would not purchase any Nikon DIGITAL SLR. Why learn on a pro system that hardly no one rents? If you are concerned about this in your future then go with CANON.... If you don't believe me call the big city rental departments and ask yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back