Souvenir Photography???

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by photong, Mar 11, 2005.

1. photong

photong Typo Queen

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I applied to this job and it's for a 'Portrait photographer (Souvenir Photography and Sales)'

Does anyone happen to know what they mean? Or could mean? It's in the CN Tower in Toronto I assume. I've never actually been there. I've only heard stories of that place.

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/ShowJob_en.asp?OrderNum=1214314&Source=JobPosting

I kind of hope I get it. It's full time it seems. And I get to move out of my parents home :) Wish me luck :)

Ciao!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It sounds like you would be there to take portraits of people (tourists) while they are at the CN tower (maybe at the top)...print and then sell them the photos. Hopefully it's not a straight commission job...I would think that it would be hard to sell photos to people who probably already have a (digital) camera with them. Work is work though...Good Luck!

3. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    hmm I thought it may be something like studio photography for couples or just friends who want to have professional shots.... but I don't really know who they are looking for and what that job is.

4. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would have to agree with Mike here. They're not asking for experience or anything, just a HS graduate and looking for 20 people.

Is the cost of living that cheap in Toronto? It's been a while since I've been there, but I remember it being kind of expensive. Can you live on $8-10/hr now?

Good luck though.

5. photong

photong Typo Queen

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have no idea. I figure I could live off $8/40hrs. That'll give me $320 gross. So maybe $250 max a week (for net of 1k a month). I could get a place including hydro (please someone stop me if I'm not being realistic!! Maybe I should ask in the Gneral forum to see if someone knows) for around 700 or less. I don't know how nice an apartment could be for that price , but this job isn't forever. I need something to get itno the city and this sound decent enough.

Maybe 200 max a month for food....that leave about $100....umm...I don't know how much phone bills and other stuff costs...however if I get a roommate I'll be much better off...

I really think it's going to be a job that won't make me happy, but it will be on my resume, give me experience with this sort of thing, get me in the city to get a better job.

I truely think a reason why I haven't been hired by some employers (who also ask for no experience etc) is because I live out of town.

6. walter23

walter23 TPF Noob!

Good luck, I'm sure it would be a nice starting job. Better than bagging groceries or something equally annoying.