Space Station overhead tonite

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Captured this. EDIT- see post #4 for more pics.

Used my dx 11-16 lens on my (freshly returned) D600 body, so there was some distortion that dxo pro didn't recognize and correct. Still, a pretty fun shot...
ISS on 6-13-16 web.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. Fun stuff.

For those that want to see/photograph, the ISS:
International Space Station

We can see/photograph the Hubble Space Telescope too and other satellites - if you know wherethey will be and when they will be there.
Orbitron

This last Saturday night I looked at the ISS in my telescope as it passed overhead.
ISS moves pretty fast and keeping it in the eyepiece is a real challenge, but I can see the 2 big rectangular solar arrays that ISS uses for making power.

ISS in front of the moon

Yep. Fun stuff.

For those that want to see/photograph, the ISS:
International Space Station

We can see/photograph the Hubble Space Telescope too and other satellites - if you know wherethey will be and when they will be there.
Orbitron

This last Saturday night I looked at the ISS in my telescope as it passed overhead.
ISS moves pretty fast and keeping it in the eyepiece is a real challenge, but I can see the 2 big rectangular solar arrays that ISS uses for making power.

ISS in front of the moon

Pretty fast indeed- 17,000 MPH!

I was excited when I showed up at my site as the sky was SO clear:
DSC_5020_DxO web.jpg

(got some cool light painting going on from headlights on the left).

THEN, here come the clouds, which SEEMED like a bummer at the time:
DSC_5030_DxO-web.jpg

In the end, the clouds actually added a really interesting element, I thought (another view):
DSC_5037_DxO_web.jpg

As you can see, the clouds were really trucking it also!

Beautiful shot, Peeb! I love those clouds, too. :)
Thanks, Terri! They caused some anxiety at first, but it all turned out!

Pretty fast indeed- 17,000 MPH!
Yep, fast compared to moving in the atmosphere.
Not all that fast compared to other things in space.
Maybe not SPACE fast, but it sure zoomed across the sky in a hurry. I had, maybe 2 minutes total from appearance in the NW until disappearance in the SE. The young men with me were captivated by it!

Yep. ISS passes are a pretty big deal at the club's Public Nights, and we make sure to let everyone know what time they start and where to look.
We empty out the observatories and get everyone outside so they can see 'the big picture' as ISS passes overhead.

Most reactions

Back