Speaking of a good read..

I would recommend To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee to anyone. it's the best book I've ever read. i'm reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky at the moment . It's pretty heavy reading but good so far.

MDowdey said:
anything robert jordan will change your life.
If the Wheel of Time turned any slower we wouldn't exist. The first 5-6 books were awsome, after that the story moved so slow it was hard to read. Who the hell wants to read 800 pages about how the leaves sway in wind as Rand is only beginning to relaize he might be having a bad day?

If I ever meet Robert Jordan I'm going to chop his arms off. That way he'll have a legitimate reason for the story moving so slow.

Mave fav sci-fi/fantasy authors are Tad Williams (Dragonbone Chair) and Terry Brooks (Shanara)

Bace, i'm with you, takes a really good book to keep my interest. I'm not really into Koontz either. I read a couple, but just couldn't get into it. If you like him, John Saul is similar. I read one called The Watcher, which was okay.

Robert Doherty writes a series about Area 51, titled Area 51, which I thought was really good, but lost interest after about the 5th book. He also has one called "The Rock" about Ayers Rock in Australia, it was good.

Anything Michael Crichton writes is good, I really like "Sphere", but horrible movie.

Clive Cussler writes good action/adventure/shipwreck stories, but after you read a couple of them they are all the same. It's like a cross between James Bond and Indiana Jones. They just started making movies of his novels, "Sahara" was the first.

terri said:
I only read that one. You know. What's-its-name. :mrgreen:

I liked it, just not enough to get going with the entire genre.

Are you talking "Interview with the Vampire"?

That book was crappy. It was also what the movie was crappily based on. You want a good read, start with "The Vampire Lestat" (Tom Cruise in the movie). I've never read 5 books back to back in my life, but the first books are "written by Lestat", and they're amazing.

bace said:
Are you talking "Interview with the Vampire"?

That book was crappy. It was also what the movie was crappily based on. You want a good read, start with "The Vampire Lestat" (Tom Cruise in the movie). I've never read 5 books back to back in my life, but the first books are "written by Lestat", and they're amazing.
I didn't think it was crappy. Not good enough, as I said, to get me to continue, but it was supposed to be "the" book to get you into Rice's stuff. Which failed with me, so maybe it was crappy if you're saying the others were much better. :mrgreen:

Either way.....yawn. ;)

And no one mentioned Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain or Death in Venice... Hmm... :)

I'm telling you, It was crap compared to the rest. Read "The Vampire Lestat" If you're not hooked from that, then you just don't like her work.

I would never tell anyone to read that book first. I would just say "watch the movie" then read the vampire lestat. And for God sakes, don't ever watch "The Queen of the Damned".

bace said:
I'm telling you, It was crap compared to the rest. Read "The Vampire Lestat" If you're not hooked from that, then you just don't like her work.

I read everything BUT the Vampire series by her. I tried but I really hated it. Loved everything else though. :sexywink:

Ahhhh here's my Da Vinci Code bashing thread... hehehe. Well as I said before, I didn't like it.

Books that I do like are:
anything done by Jostein Gaarder.
He wrote Sophie's World - an amazing book about the history of philosophy intertwined with a cool fictional story.
The Solitaire Mystery - aimed more at older teenagers, but another great explanation of philosophy also has some great descriptions of European countryside and culture.
The Christmas Mystery - definately a kids book, but it always makes me so happy.
Through a Glass Darkly - one of the saddest books I've read. It really touched me and taught me to never give up.
....and a bunch of Jostein Gaarder's other books.

I love Bill Bryson's books. They're hilarious and interesting... especially A Walk in The Woods.

oh and Pride and Prejudice and some of Ionesco's plays are awesome, Roald Dahl, John Marsden and of course, the Harry Potter books.

im telling you, the wheel of time might have been slow after book 7 ,but the end of the first book is so badass you wont want to stop shivering.

also, queen of the damned was my favorite anne rice book, and the movie was FUGGING awesome as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back