Specialty filters

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by JNK8665, Jul 15, 2007.

1. JNK8665

JNK8665 TPF Noob!

I am looking at various pics on internet, and really like some interesting images created using various specialty enhancement filters. What do you all recommend as to a full arsenal of filters one can have, and what kind of effect do they produce? Can you upload pics that used the filter to demonstrate their function? Thanks!
    Polarizer/UV/IR I have...

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well in the digital work pretty much every other filter can be done in software. In the film world there's literally countless others. a B-Y Polariser can't be done in software though, so if you like landscapes it's worth looking into. A ND filter is often used to bring the shutter speed down in the light which also has many uses. ND Grad filters which someone here would otherwise recommend can be done in software if you have 2 exposures.

3. quad b

quad b TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i shoot digital and have a polariser, ND for slower shutter speeds, a graduated ND for producing nicer skies, and an infrared filter. i think just about everyone has a uv/skylight filter on for lense protection. i would recommend the graduated ND.

4. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have UV on all my lenses for protection mainly, a Hoya Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizer, and a couple different types of GND filters for skies. While the effects from the GND can be achieved in photoshop for $75 you can save yourself some PP time, esp. if you shoot a lot of landscapes.

I also have a ND filter for slower shutter speeds, but don't really use it much.