Specific List of "Needs"- can one tripod fit the bill?

I looked at both of the suggested tripods, the $119 Slik and the $244 Manfrotto...I think both look reasonably good for their respective price categories. You cannot have the "ultimate" in any category at those prices points--not the lightest, not the steadiest, not the most compact, not the best--you're really "settling" at the $400 and under price point, sad to say.

You need to make a compromise; lighter weight and smaller collapsed length means greater portability and greater likelihood that the tripod will actually leave the vehicle instead of being left behind.

Hakuba is another brand of reasonably-priced tripod you might look into if you want a carbon fibre tripod of modest cost. Whatever you decide, almost any tripod can gain you two to three stops more (slower) shutter speed if it is used well; what you are paying for in the higher end is more like 6 to 8 stops greater steadiness and ALL of the quality your lens can deliver. Thom Hogan's article is targeting higher-end shooters,mostly backpackers and outdoor photogs, for whom low WEIGHT is needed,along with steadiness, hence the $700 Gitzo legs and so on.

Hakuba is another brand of reasonably-priced tripod you might look into if you want a carbon fibre tripod of modest cost. Whatever you decide, almost any tripod can gain you two to three stops more (slower) shutter speed if it is used well; what you are paying for in the higher end is more like 6 to 8 stops greater steadiness and ALL of the quality your lens can deliver. Thom Hogan's article is targeting higher-end shooters,mostly backpackers and outdoor photogs, for whom low WEIGHT is needed,along with steadiness, hence the $700 Gitzo legs and so on.

Hi Derrrel- Thanks- I tried looking up Hakuba online (mostly amazon) but all I could find were multi-colored tripods that came in under $100 (the colors seemed to be the main selling point). Do you have a specific site that you search for equipment on?

I just didn't want you to think I made a camera model up. lol ;)

Oh, I know that's a real camera, lol. I just couldn't find it on B&H... It must be discontinued or something... I'm not good at remembering the 'letter' designations...

XTi is the 400D, right? XSi is the 450D, and T1i is the 500D, so there are already 2 generations after the XTi - that explains why I couldn't find one on B&H.

Hope I'm not being annoying, but there's been an increase in the amount of funding for this group gift and now we are up to $300. I was thinking of the following- still based on what I was saying before, but in doing some more research since then, I have found that the Manfrotto 190XPROB has a feature that "by extending the column to its highest vertical position, users can now swing the tripod round to horizontal without removing the head or disassembling the column itself. This makes switching between framing and positioning setups more convenient than ever." Sounds like a great feature that will allow the tripod to get low to the ground; is this right and is there any other reason for wanting a center column to do this?

Also, I think I've decided to not require spiked feet as a necessity since it was told to me by you all that I can purchase those later, if needed. (Though they are nice.)

The tripod/head combos I am now looking at are:

1. Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190XPROB Black Tripod Kit with 322RC2 Grip Action Ball Quick Release Head & Tripod Case: Camera & Photo

2. 190XPROB804RC2 Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Black Aluminum Pro Tripod Legs with 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head, Max Load: 8.8 lb., Max Height 62" (same legs but the specs are different (why)?? Also, different head)

3. Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190XDB, 804RC2 190XDB Tripod and 804RC2 Head (Black): Electronics

and

4. 615580 SLIK PRO 580 DX Tripod Legs with SH-806E Heavy Duty 3-Way Pan Head & Case

I still think the Manfrotto 055XWNB Wilderness looks good for how much it weighs, but I'm wondering if it would be better to have that center column feature on the 190XPROB).

Also, when specs say "minimum height" does that mean how low to the ground it can get your camera? The Manfrotto 055XWNB Wilderness says something like 2.8" minimum height- really?

Thanks for your expertise!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like the center column on the 055 is reversible - but I don't know, maybe it is...

My center column is reversible, and with it reversed - I could put the camera ON the ground if I wanted to... I rarely have to reverse it (I can probably count the times on one hand), but I guess if you have to, you have to.

The way the legs spread (they go way out, if you want them to), the tripod almost lays flat on the ground. With the center column upright, minimum height is usually equal to the height of the center column.

I am not sold on the need for the swinging center column. If however you are really looking for that feature, the Benbo brand of tripods has had that feature for many years, and has refined it very well over many models over the years. http://www.prontotech.com/shop/benbo-tripod

As far as these tripod with the "grip" ballheads go; I have examined both the side-grip and the tall, pistol-grip type made by Manfrotto/Bogen,and I must say, I do not give either high marks for rigidity. Honestly, I think it's more of a marketing ploy than a good feature, and I give the design exceedingly low marks for engineering fundamentals, especially on the "tall pistol grip" head...that is just a seriously, fundamentally bad design in terms of making a steady, solid ball head. It's okay for a light camera and casual use, but in terms of firmly locking and holding the camera and lens and stopping vibration--no, the design is new, unique, and very gimmicky. The shorter, and fatter, the "neck" area is on a ball head, the better; the tall pistol grip design is completely counter to fundamental designs. The side-grip pistol grip is yet another odd design; if the idea were so good, I think it would have been widely copied.

Not sure if there is a professional photographic supply store within a couple of hours' drive from your location or not, but actually getting to see and handle multiple tripods would be worth a 1 to 23 hour drive for a 15-20 year item like a tripod.

If you plan on shooting macro, the "swinging" or horizontal center column seems very useful from what I have seen. I personally have wished my tripod had it on several occasions.

btw... double check the weight capacity of the grip ball head (along the lines of what Derrel said) Typically lesser than "regular" ball heads.

Thanks for the info on the grip action head. I tried looking up the head individually to get more info on it and the one that Amazon came up with was the: Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick Head Short. It has the same (model?) number but different name- not sure if it is the same? This one says that it is "is designed to keep the weight of your equipment as close as possible to the tripod's center of gravity by way of its reduced height. It is this fact, matched with the precision construction of the 322RC2 that gives the head its load capacity of 11 pounds (5.5 pound capacity when in the vertical position)." It has a great rating- 4.5 stars based on 123 reviews but I'm not sure if it is the same one or not. Anyone have any comments/opinions/advice about this being the same or these specs being decent even for a grip action?

Derrel and Usayit- you both seem to agree that a grip action head is not the way to go- so that would leave me with the other three options:

2. 190XPROB804RC2 Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Black Aluminum Pro Tripod Legs with 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head, Max Load: 8.8 lb., Max Height 62"

3. Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190XDB, 804RC2 190XDB Tripod and 804RC2 Head (Black)

and

4. 615580 SLIK PRO 580 DX Tripod Legs with SH-806E Heavy Duty 3-Way Pan Head & Case

OR ...

the Benbo tripods- which look really intriguing but I can't find any load capacity information on any of the models in their spec sections. Also- I haven't heard of Benbo before (keep in mind, this isn't saying much at all); is it a pretty good brand?

P.S. Derrel- I would go to a store but the ones around here I have heard are seriously overpriced and I really don't know what I'm looking for. I tend to notice that sales people just want to give you their opinion and not really educate the customer- I'd rather learn about what I am purchasing so I can make an informed decision. That's why I'm so glad you guys are willing to help me learn! =) (Thank you, thank you)

(edit) - Just found another here: Velbon Carmagne Carbon Fiber

I'm looking to make a choice today after all this research is complete (hopefully). The birthday is Monday!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back