Speed lights & Batteries...

rechargeable ones that are rated at at least 1900 mAh.

I've been using Eneloop rechargeable batteries for about 2 years now. They've been good to me with only 2 died out of 60. I lost about 6 but that was operator's error. lol

I use a combination of:

1) A GOOD quality charging unit. Those cheap ones that come with the batteries in most stores that charge in an hour or so harm the batteries and only diminish their lifespan.
What you want is a good unit that charges slowly over a long period of time which will improve the lifespan of the battery. You also want one that charges each cell and cuts off the power too once charged (cheap ones oft just charge in a block and will many times just keep pumping in and taking out power so if you leave them in too long you've again damaged the batteries lifespan)
I'd recommend an 8 cell charging unit from Powerrex/Maha. They also do a good 4 cell unit, but whilst its got some very advance features only 4 cells is impractical.
This will cost, but in the long run it means your batteries will last longer and you won't end up dropping money on replacements as fast (I've had it in the past before I took up this system, where I'd end up buying new batteries whilst out and around because my old ones gave out too fast).

2) Batteries with memory. The kind that you can charge and will keep their charge for a long period of time. These are sold by most companies now, but Eneloop did them first. You always know them because they are sold pre-charged. They basically not only hold their charge for a long time, but do so even if left within the unit. Other kinds will drain down so those fully charged batteries at the start of the weak are weak by the end even if you never used them.
The memory ones will have pretty much all their charge left - even after year something like 80% remains.

This combo is a well worth setup for batteries for a speedlite unless you want to head toward the external power-cells. Those are heavier, bigger but also pack a lot more charge. Depends how mobile and how much power you need to carry.

Inbetween you've got the 8 AA battery cell external battery packs- cheaper than the powercell and lighter and smaller. They don't hold as much, but can be pretty darn useful all the same. PIXEL sell a very good one (cheaper than own brand options) That uses the batteries in two groups of 4 so that you can half-load it and it will still work and also so that it charges twice as fast because both groups contribue to the charge rather than just the one cell of 8 (which is what Canon own brand one does)

Eneloops and a LaCrosse smart charger have been serving me well for a while.
I've had 2 batteries drain to the point that the LaCross wouldn't charge them unless I put them in a cheap energizer charger first.
Apparently the LaCross requires a minimum charge on the battery or it won't work.
No idea why,but it happened.

I have several but I think the ones that got the highest mAh are the Powerex by Maha with 2700 mAh. I have six 285Hv's and I rotate the batteries, I have Sony, enelop and Powerex. All of the get hot after a while.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back