Speedlight batteries. Which ones?

OGsPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just went with some eneloops, they have a little more power and jold a charge? Was using enegizer.
Is there another battery I shkuld be looking at. Im thinking of the battery packs now also, for my YN560s.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    245.5 KB · Views: 163
I have had great results from Duracell Rechargeable NiMH 2500 mAh. No complaint whatsoever!

Which energizers were you using?
The green top (1300 mAh) ones or the all silver (2300 mAh ) ones ?
I use the all silver ones in my flashes and the green top ones in the triggers and other low power usage accessories. I normally just buy from local stores so I've never tried eneloop yet.

Green 1300s.

I thought I saw a 5000 mah at a photog store but I may be mistaken.

Thanks!

Green 1300s.

I thought I saw a 5000 mah at a photog store but I may be mistaken.

Thanks!
Be careful of various batteries output numbers
There's been many threads here in the past debunking some super cheap though aparently high output batteries as scams.

I just went with some eneloops, they have a little more power and jold a charge? Was using enegizer.
Is there another battery I shkuld be looking at. Im thinking of the battery packs now also, for my YN560s.
Depends, If you are an occasional flash user get the eneloops, they hold a charge a long time. If you are an every day all day long user, get the best quality highest mah you can find. More flashes per use and you will be recharging them daily.

Last edited:
I've tried many different types over the years and in my speedlights now I use Eneloop by Panasonic, been by far the most reliable in my speedlights, I'm also reasonably happy with the Amazon Basics rechargebles as well.

I find the eneloops hold a good charge and have a decent recycle time in flash.

Eneloop pros on the way, 2550 ma, says it can hold up to 85% for a year...

Looking at the SF-18 Yongnuo, packed with eneloops, should be good to run a key light strong.

No sense having a shoot fail over batteries.

Thanks all.
OG

Looks like Energizer now has a 2500 mAh battery too

Ahem!

Last edited by a moderator:
I get whatever Costco happens to be selling.
They're not that different from each other.

I pretty much know when I'm going to use a speedlight(s) and make sure I charge my quicker discharging over time, but store more power, non-eneloop type batteries.

I do use eneloop type batteries in things that need slow discharge batteries - like my HVAC thermostat.

Be aware.
If you will not be using a speedlight for longer than about 3 weeks you need to remove the batteries so they don't corrode the battery contacts and battery compartment in your speedlight (speedlite).

I love Eneloops, in fact that's all I use for my speedlights.

Most reactions

Back