Speedlight compatibility with d3200

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into buying nikon's sb-910 speedlight for my d3200. Will this thing fit on my cameras hotshoe and work with the camera?

yes. yes.

Is there any reason you are looking at the SB910 as opposed to just the SB700? That is a really pro flash that you'll never come close to utilizing fully, even the SB700, and probably even a YN560III...

Given the abilities of the SB-700 not sure why one at your level, Hamlet, would need a SB-910. Not like your shooting events or anything that requires that kind of utility.

I have a SB-700 that I use frequently for my macro and some of my fun time portraits that I'm currently experimenting with. I love using it as a sub for the SU-800 to control my SB-600 and SB-R200s.

Go to a camera store and look at the size and weight of a 910 compared to a 700 compared to your camera body.
I think you'll prefer the 700 for your use.

...perhaps hammy is planning ahead?? Yes it will fit/work.

...perhaps hammy is planning ahead?? Yes it will fit/work.

Perhaps, but highly doubt it. No harm in buying top of the line if you have the means even if you are never going to use it's full potential. It's your money after all. Waste it or invest it as you see fit, Hammy.

I've just read that the weight of the 9x0 can bend the hotshoe on some bodies. And some hotshoes that doesn't fit the 9x0 series ??

But research it, I never looked in it in detail.

A $400 flash on a $500 camera. Ok.. sure, why not. Kind of reminds me of the guys who go out and by a $500 car and then put 2 grand worth of stereo equipment in it and another grand into tires and rims - lol. But sure, if it floats your boat, I say go for it.

A cheaper flash may do but the d3200 has the ability to do pro shots with the best also. I would also look at yongnuos yn568ex to see if a third party flash at 1/3rd the price will suffice.

I really dislike this idea of "level" that photographers tend to have.

"Oh, at YOUR level you don't need..." or "what level are you at?" or whatever.

This isn't kung fu, we are not graded with a series of exams resulting in colored belts which let everyone know our social status. There are no levels. There are skills you have, and skills you don't have, stretching out in a multi-dimensional mesh of loose dependencies.

Also, forcing people to stick with crummy gear when good gear is within their grasp is, in any endeavor, pretty much the best way to ensure that they have the hardest possible time developing new skills.

I really dislike this idea of "level" that photographers tend to have.

Well sure, it's complete nonsense. But on the upside we can all sit around and pretend we're wizards or something.

This isn't kung fu, we are not graded with a series of exams resulting in colored belts which let everyone know our social status. There are no levels. There are skills you have, and skills you don't have, stretching out in a multi-dimensional mesh of loose dependencies.

It isn't? Crap. Man, am I in the wrong forum.. lol

Also, forcing people to stick with crummy gear when good gear is within their grasp is, in any endeavor, pretty much the best way to ensure that they have the hardest possible time developing new skills.

Lol, well he's going to buy whatever it is he's going to buy regardless of anything that gets said here, he always has - so no one is really forcing him to stick with anything. Me I find it all a little ironic, considering the OP and how much time he spends obsessing over stuff like this, but you know if he wants an SB-9X or he'd prefer to pick up some cheapo $50 knock off from walmart, seriously no skin off my nose either way.

I really dislike this idea of "level" that photographers tend to have. "Oh, at YOUR level you don't need..." or "what level are you at?" or whatever. This isn't kung fu, we are not graded with a series of exams resulting in colored belts which let everyone know our social status. There are no levels. There are skills you have, and skills you don't have, stretching out in a multi-dimensional mesh of loose dependencies. Also, forcing people to stick with crummy gear when good gear is within their grasp is, in any endeavor, pretty much the best way to ensure that they have the hardest possible time developing new skills.

Tough bananas buddy because many trade (read: skilled) professions have levels to indicate a certain common level of knowledge, experience, and skills. The trade of photography is no different than any other learned trade. It's a shame that photography as a whole doesn't have a defined state or nationally (USA) recognized set of levels. When I first got into photography I was shocked that there was no such structure in place. No wonder it's so easy for anyone to hang a shingle out and call themselves a pro.

Take Electricians for instance. If I hire a master electrician to wire up my house he has to have a certain number of hours in the field (signed off by a master), some schooling, and passed a few tests to be able to call himself a master. Knowing that I will know I am going to get better than some Joe Blow off the street who yesterday bought his first meter and his apprentice card then today says he will wire up my house.

Whether you like it or not doesn't matter. Having a system in place to indicate a certain level knowledge, experience and skills has been reach is a good thing for the consumer and the profession involved.

Now, maybe Hamlet will shock us all, get the SB-910 and be the next Ansel Adams. I don't know. Honestly, I don't care. I'm just bored at work on lunch break so I'm posting on an Internet forum.

Being an electrician isn't the same as being a photographer. In fact, it's amazing how many things are not the same as being a photographer. There's are lots of jobs and hobbies where a "level" makes sense. Photography isn't one of them.

Also, "Tough bananas buddy"?

Same? No. No trade is exactly the same as any other. Similar? Yes. I know because I do both. Pretty 480sparky can chime in on that. There's technical skills and theories you have to learn with both to perform well technically. There's no reason there cannot be a level system in Photography to indicate the same thing it does in any other trade.

The only big difference between the two is the artistic aspect. You might be surprised how much that comes into play in electrical work especially in the oil field (where my experience as an electrician is).

And I could have said "tough **** buddy," but I try to be civil sometimes :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back