Speedlite vs Strobe for wedding - Big Venue

and it's not offensively overpriced for a camera-rotating bracket. Plus: the remote button is slick--since I like it on that side to be able to zoom with my left hand, the telescoping height is slick, being able to mount the camera/flash on a light stand is slick, and being able to use an umbrella mount is slick.

It looks like it would be very useful and to use on a lightstand for a photobooth vs just using an on camera mounted flash, while still being very portable.

Next time I'm shooting an event, I'll highly consider picking this thing up first.

The only slight negative is that the telescoping "stem" for the speedlight mount is a bit sketchy at full extension; that said, I've never used it more than about half-way.

I use a strobe (used to be AB B800, but now Profoto Acute B2 pack and head). I simply either aim the strobe up or diffuse at down towards the dance floor. Works well if I don't have an assistant holding a monopod with SB910 roaming for me. Trigger with PWs, but Phottix makes nice triggers that allow TTL pass-thru and channel/group selection if I use 2 lights.

I saw one tutorial where the photographer mounted the lights near the ceiling with c-clamps. Thought that was pretty ingenious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do the math on w/s and beam spread... that's a big room with high ceilings and is going to need a LOT of light. Are the guests really going to enjoy 800 w/s strobes popping off all the time? Ceiling-mounted lights are fine for a smaller venue, or if you have a specific area where you will be taking pictures, but they also require a lot of specialized gear as well.

Guests at 10pm tend to be semi-drunk and music is blasting. Using an 800ws strobe is not a big deal IMO. It is the only time I get aggressive with flash.

This was actually almost two months ago, so here's what I ended up doing.

Three speedlights, one on each banister velcroed, and then pointed toward the ceiling. I also had one on camera and all powered at around 1/4 power to 1/2, and ISO was around 3200. Plenty of light and the guests didn't complain.

Most reactions

Back