speling

Although non-standard, 'lense' is an acceptable spelling. ;)

I find myself spelling it both ways for some reason. :lol:

Oh, and Firefox 2 has a built in spell checker. :p
It doen't werk rite thuogh!!!!

It poots red lins undar evarything! :grumpy:

Ok, since we're nitpicking on spelling, I'll post what I usually post in spelling/grammar threads.

Typing things out in a forum is generally not the same for people as when they type out a formal letter or paper.

I know when I post, I write the way I would speak in a conversation...this means I'm much more relaxed on things, and will often, without thinking about it, will type how a words SOUNDS, rather than how it should be spelled.

I don't think I'm the only one, either. In fact, I'm sure of it.

For example, something I see often on my sweepstakes forum that I belong to...people will say "I one a giftcard!". Clearly they KNOW that the proper spelling for that is 'won' and not 'one'. But they both sound exactly the same, and when posting, it's almost like speaking, and in a bit of a 'stream of consciousness' type of a style.

If that makes sense. I know many of my mistakes are for that very reason.

HOWEVER....yes, certain things annoy me, too! :lol: My main one is one that wouldn't sound right spoken, either....and that's not knowing when to use 'a' or 'an'. And I don't get it either, because I personally think it's EASIER to say "I cooked an egg", than it is to say "I cooked a egg".

....but no one is perfect, and I'm sure I made mistakes in this very post.

If they only had a spell check plug-in for the forum. Some of you mentioned some tools for spell checking... that is great! What are they? Where do you get them? I do not like to have misspellings on here (or anywhere), and sorry if I tourchred :p you all with them.

Corry, you are right: I have detected errors such as your very "won"-"one" example in my own posts, when I re-read them and went "Huh? What am I saying here?" Same as the "through"-"threw" thing. But then you see me back in my posts like a flash, correcting those errors! If I see them - for sure!

My fingers are also notorious about typing "who" when I want them to type "how" :roll: --- I have not managed to edit out all those wrong "who's" in the past, though :oops:

I love the edit-function :D.
Helps a lot! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back