1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Spend my $250!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by BTilson, Oct 6, 2008.

1. BTilson

BTilson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know it's not much, but I currently have a budget of $250 to spend on camera accessories. I am wanting to invest it in off camera lighting. I want to get the Cactus v2s triggers and do the antenna mod to them. One transmitter and two recievers. So that clocks in at about $60 after shipping. (Just an estimate) So that leaves $190 to spend on two flashes. What would everyone recommend on such a tight budget? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Or maybe even something entirely different to spend the $250 on?

My setup currently:

Nikon D40
    Nikkor 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses.
    ND2 Neutral Density Filter
    Off Brand Tripod - Gets the job done though!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I've done quite a bit of research, but having no direct experience with off camera flash, I am kind of at a loss as to what would be a good "beginner" flash.

Thanks!

2. ernie

ernie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the sb600 flash would fit into that budget, heard that's a good one.

3. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    get a nice bag (lowepro slingshot?)

and have a really nice dinner. ;)

4. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

On ebay, they are selling the package for $300

That is one transmitter, 2 receivers and 2 Vivitar 285HV flash plus a little more stuff.

And you maybe able to take the advantage of the Microsoft 30% cash back with pay by "Paypal" and use "Buy it now" option. (The 30% cash back from Microsoft may end any time soon)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...category=48515&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:CUST

P.S. I just click the buy it now option and it said "Pay with PayPal, claim your cashback with Microsoft and get it in 60 days." So I think this one will work with the MS cash back. So after cash back, it is about $210

5. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sb-600 flash and a 50mm f1.8 (afs version would put you over your budget--but there's nothing wrong with manual focus!)