Spending your Marketing Money

elsaspet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've learned a few things this last year, and it was to spare no expense on your meeting material.

I've now expanded my folders to include:

A guest sized copy of a Graphi Album
A 2007 calendar
A nice pen with my website addy on it
Recommended Vendors
Print Pricing
Add on Pricing
Contract
Self Addressed stamped envelope
Wedding Questionaire
Sample DVD slideshow with Lightscribed DVD and DVD cover

So why do I go to all this trouble and expense? My folders cost me about 12 bucks apeice once filled.

Here is the breakdown. I have 52 dates a year in which to work. I only want to work 30 of them. (Last year was 42 and that was WAY too much!)
I meet with 45 people and close the 30 I need. I spend $540 on folders.
But I get on the average of $3000 on each wedding.

Here's why it works.
I start out with a nice website, I dress nicely for meetings, and I am very confident in what I say. After I show the prospective clients my work and samples, I leave them with this handy dandy folder. Full of all this cool stuff with my company name all over everything. It's like a giant goody bag.
So they go off to meet other, and maybe better photogs. But they leave with a memory. My folder however, is a constant reminder. They can jot down wedding stuff in the calendar, using the pen, look over a sample album as many times as they would like, and play my Sample DVD over and over and over, for all the decision making folks who might not have been at the meeting. It's a huge close.

Give it a try, and good luck with your businesses this year. The economy is picking up, so it should be good news for all!
Smooches,
Cindy

Thanks you guys. Try it, it really works.
Anyhoo, I'd love to hear about what you are doing that you find helps the business.
Hugs to all.

I'm just starting...and it's word of mouth so far. My portrait business went crazy this holiday season...and I have been very busy the last few weeks. Mostly babies or babies and families. I did a shoot for my sister-in-law and she loved it. Tonight she is hosting a mother's group at her house...with 18 mothers. I gave her a portfolio album and some business cards. Hopefully I'll get something from this.

On the wedding side, I'm sort of partnering with someone and we have someone working on our web site. It's been a long time coming...but we are getting a very good, professional web designer to do it in his free time...for free.

Hey Cindy!

Evereything you outlined sounds excellent! I'm really glad that it is working for you, and I'm sure if anyone here trys it, I'm sure it would work for them as well! If I ever tend to get into the business/money side of photography this is one thread that I will remember!

Thanks

Tim

Thanks Tim! Sounds like you are doing awesome Big Mike! Of course your beautiful photographs don't hurt!
Best to you.

I've been doing pretty good with closing the sale once I'm able to get a couple to meet with me. But, it's the getting them to meet with me part that's hard. What sort of marketing advice can you offer in that department Cindy?
(Love that you include so much in your folder though...really gives me something to think about in terms of what I'm putting in my folders!)

Hi AR,
I'm using Respond.com/TheKnot/and WPJA for advertising. They all generate about the same amount of leads/sales per month. All of them are great sources of referral.
Hugs!
Cindy

There are some really cool tips in there Cindy, thanks for sharing.

I suspect you get more deals because your easy to deal with and very sympathetic, or have a better empathy/connection with the bride. (can't believe I spelt all those words correctly!)

I'm having a look at your web site and you have some great shots on there and this will of course help.

Do you mind me asking what you get for $3k and is that expensive or about average in your area?

Wow Cindy.. the effort you put in is great... what an action packed folder. Super idea with all the bits & pieces, but knowing how smashing your photography is, I doubt you really need it!! One look and surely they are hooked! xx The sheer fact that you fitted 42 weddings into a 52 week year is extraordinary... congratulations. Needless to say you are one of my faves! x

There are some really cool tips in there Cindy, thanks for sharing.

I suspect you get more deals because your easy to deal with and very sympathetic, or have a better empathy/connection with the bride. (can't believe I spelt all those words correctly!)

I'm having a look at your web site and you have some great shots on there and this will of course help.

Do you mind me asking what you get for $3k and is that expensive or about average in your area?

Hi Hair Bear,
Wedding photographers in my area range from $450 for a full wedding, to $15000 plus. Dallas is a pretty big market.
I guess I'm in the mid/upper range. I think the average is around $1500.

For 3 grand, they get between 500-700 shots, all retouched, black and white conversions, and a small wedding album. (Asuka)
Hope this helps, and thanks again for all the nice words!
Hugs,
Cindy

Hi Cindy, $450-$15,000 thats a hell of a range.

Maybe I should move to Dallas and start doing it for a living! (not that I'm that good of course)

Would have thought for you then, if you want to do less - increase your costs to $4,000. Work less earn more, basic economics. And I would suggest your work would be more than strong enough in that price bracket.

Hi Cindy, $450-$15,000 thats a hell of a range.

Maybe I should move to Dallas and start doing it for a living! (not that I'm that good of course)

Would have thought for you then, if you want to do less - increase your costs to $4,000. Work less earn more, basic economics. And I would suggest your work would be more than strong enough in that price bracket.

Hi Hair Bear,
I cant compete in that market yet, although my pricing goes to $5000.00 which includes bigger and better stuff. My talent compares about the 3000 range to the other guys in town. I don't think I could up it. You have to base your pricing on compairable value.

Yep, it's quite a spread. Dallas is a tough market!

We do something similar for prospects and we do something different for booked clients. Our booked clients get:

A blockbuster/movie night gift basket with popcorn, snacks & a blockbuster card along with candles, etc. from the local Syracuse Gift Basket Co.

In their basket is "intro" information - all the links, phone numbers, info, etc that they will need plus their two Lifetime Portrait Club memberships (so they keep coming back for family, maternity, etc.) Basically their intro package & basket welcome them to the PI family - cost about $40 - value about infinite. lol

Good stuff!

M

Most reactions

Back