Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hoverfly on bramble, TQ 40104 68783 19/06/2023
The real size is 6.89 mm, magnification is 1.4
IMG_9683_Hoverfly by davholla2002, on Flickr

Caterpillar on a strawberry plant it didn't seem to harm it
EF7A4146_Caterpillar by davholla2002, on Flickr

Moth, from the moth trap, TQ 40100 68716 on my hand. Maybe Hart and Dart, Agrotis exclamationis
EF7A4198_Moth by davholla2002, on Flickr

Moth, from the moth trap, TQ 40100 68716. Garden Grass-veneer - Chrysoteuchia culmella

EF7A4203_Moth by davholla2002, on Flickr

Caddis fly from the moth trap TQ 40100 68716The real size is 10.34 mm, magnification is 1.4. Maybe Mystacides interjectus

IMG_9690_Caddis_fly by davholla2002, on Flickr

Well done!

Good captures..never thought of using a moth trap. how do you release them afterwards?

Good captures..never thought of using a moth trap. how do you release them afterwards?
Releasing is not a problem - they are on egg boxes and the ones that don't fly away instantly I leave on the boxes - but protected from birds to fly away during the day. At the end of the day I push them to release them. In the UK there are 2 problems with moth traps. In urban areas sometimes the yields can be low in the winter (or even the spring). In rural areas they can be unmanageable in the summer. You might not just get moths - a lot of people get a lot of other things - and to be honest I was really hoping for stag beetles - so far no luck with that.

Releasing is not a problem - they are on egg boxes and the ones that don't fly away instantly I leave on the boxes - but protected from birds to fly away during the day. At the end of the day I push them to release them. In the UK there are 2 problems with moth traps. In urban areas sometimes the yields can be low in the winter (or even the spring). In rural areas they can be unmanageable in the summer. You might not just get moths - a lot of people get a lot of other things - and to be honest I was really hoping for stag beetles - so far no luck with that.
One thing I have not tried yet, but is to put up a white sheet and shine a light on it. It is supposed to attract all sorts of night flying insects, and their predators, like toads.

I'll give it a go

Most reactions

Back