Spider!

Roba

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I noticed some dust specks in my recent pictures, so decided too clean my sensor.
Got the air blower out gave a good blast inside, set the camera down, did the sensor wet clean.
Popped the lens back on, took a picture looked at the screen. And then went to take another picture, and theres a spider in my viewfinder!! Running around and around. How the hell did that get in there?
The camera either has a lens on, or the camera cap is on.
Ive tried using the blower too blow it out, mirror up, mirror down, shaking the camera ( not to vigorously ) but its not coming out.
Any suggestions?

Its a d3s by the way.

Cheers Rob

Im going too leave it face down with the cap off for a couple of hrs.
If that doesn't work, then yes tecboy off to the shop.

Eight-ounce ball peen hammer. Actually, it's trashed. Just send it to me and I'll safely dispose of it for you, no charge.
;)

Obviously the small spider was in the bulb of the blower. Take off the lens and lay a popsicle stick with a little sticky substance in there overnight. Hopefully the spider will move around and step on it and be stuck.....

Thats 1 reason to explain it dennybeall.

Have you tried using a Shop-Vac to suck it out of there? Put your hands around the nozzle to control the succion, and play with your fingers by opening them until you get the right succion velocity.

Last edited:
Im going to give the over night thing ago, and take it from there.
Thanks microbois

Just how vigorously can you blow or suck air in and around the sensor of a camera. I have a D810 and every 3rd or 4th time I change the lens, I hit it with a few blasts of canned air from about 4" away. I'm a little concerned about getting too close to the body opening. On the other hand, I'm not shy at all about getting real close to the front and rear lens elements to blow them off.

Jim

I wouldn't use canned air inside the camera. That is a lot of pressure that can dislodge things, and the cans can contain moisture that you're releasing there. Get a "rocket" blower bulb, instead. The canned air would be fine outside and probably on the lenses.

Yes, use the bulb, not canned air or any kind of machine. My biggest concern with that much force would be banging the mirror around or driving a bit of debris into the sensor and scratching it.

I wouldn't use canned air inside the camera. That is a lot of pressure that can dislodge things, and the cans can contain moisture that you're releasing there. Get a "rocket" blower bulb, instead. The canned air would be fine outside and probably on the lenses.
DO NOT USE CANNED "AIR" OF ANY SORT! Not only is the pressure a point of concern, but chances are, it's NOT air, but some combination of compressed gasses, with who knows what contaminates in it. There are often minute traces of hydrocarbons and occasionally particulate matter. As mentioned, the Rocket Blower is the BEST option. If you need more air pressure than that, you're doing it wrong.

Just leave it for a bit - I had the same with an earwig of all things - and yes like you camera always covered so no idea how it got in. Just leave it tipped up and give it a shake every now and then and it should come out on its own

Its out!! Left it face down over night above some marmalade, and there it was trying to get out of it.

This is the second time I recently read that someone used compressed air inside the camera. YIKES! I got a chill each time I read it.

As for the spider, I would have left it in. What if it had bit the sensor and you ended up with a Peter Parker camera, ISO sensitivity of 100K, the resolution of 100 megapixels, producing photos with a file size of about 1 megabyte. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back