spiders and flies for C&C

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by iamsneaky13, Sep 20, 2010.

1. iamsneaky13

iamsneaky13 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i would love some opinions on these, because i don't really know how i feel about them, and im a little biased toward myself. so i would love some objective observations. love em hatem i don't really care as long as you tell me about it.

[​IMG]

2.[​IMG]

3.[​IMG]
    the above image is a crop of the below one
    4.[​IMG]

2. untung

untung TPF Noob!

try not to leave out the spiders legs and the df's wings in #4. Just my opinion. :D

3. Cahlean

Cahlean TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Stunning macros! Amazing how hairy insects and bugs are. What did you shoot them with?

4. iamsneaky13

iamsneaky13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    untung- i agree with you but i can't change magnification easily enough to make those changes.

cahlean- i use a vintage nikon manual lens reversed on extension tubes. honestly you could pick up my rig for 50 bucks not including the flash.

5. Arkanjel Imaging

Arkanjel Imaging No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    He is referring to your framing. Which has nothing to do with magnification.

Image #1 you have a lot of dead space at the top of the frame. Not always a bad thing. But you cut his feet off. Which is bad.

#2 is a good angle and dof. But again you cut just the tips off the front and back of the subject.

Im assuming #3 is a crop of #4.

#4 is really nice focus on the eyes and good perspective. But (again) you cut the wing tips and feet off. Maybe a little heavy on the saturation.

Youre on the right track. Just take a little more time when framing to take in the whole image from corner to corner. Unless you are trying to show just a subjects head or similar detail its best to get the whole insect in frame. :thumbup:

6. iamsneaky13

iamsneaky13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    good tips! and thanks for commenting. i agree with you on the framing, but there is not all that much i could have done, except for number one, which i should have moved up. on the fly picture however, i was at my lowest mag, and my other gear was to far away to change in time before the fly flew away. Next time I'll try to be more flexible i guess. I should probably try higher mag, and framing just eyes, or lower mag with a non reversed lens, and crop a bit. Thanks for the help! i really need it

7. N E Williams

N E Williams TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Awesome pictures, 4 is my favourite of the bunch :thumbup: