spilling over

nabero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so...this is something of a spontaneous experiment. A series of frustrations have been piling up recently. One of them being photography, and the feeling that: sure, sometimes I manage to take a pretty picture, but there is no depth in it.

Anyway....I took my camera with me yesterday, hoping to take some shots around my alma mater after i was finished cleaning out my apartment. Well...I never made it out to take shots of the campus because the cleaning took longer than I expected and I was exhausted...this is what happened instead. All of my frustrations came to a head...breaking point. my camera was sitting on the kitchen counter and i decided to combine all of my frustrations--and decided i would not edit the results.

fc8f27fa.jpg

a86fd901.jpg

9e83d943.jpg

Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm putting there online...I'm nervous about this, but I just don't know what else to do with them. But i guess as always...any reactions or critiques are welcome.

Cheers..

they are graphic, and emotional. you put yourself out there, and that says a lot about the potential you have as a photographer. the majority of the things i see lacking in these is on a technical side. since they are self portraits i can't say much about composition, the first is the only one that is bad in my opinion, one way around it would be to have shot wider and cropped it in.

since you didn't edit them one way you can get more contrasty light on your face would be to have turned so that the window behind you was in front of you 30-60 degrees. i don't know whats back there, but depending on how dark the rest of the room is it may have all fallen off to black, or almost black

props on posting these!

Well I know why you're putting them on here. They are IMO what a lot of people photography is really about. They show real emotion, nothing posed or fake.

I'm sorry you feel this overwhelmed or sad. It really shows in you expression and the look in your eye in the 3rd image.

I looked at these last night before I headed off to bed and really wasn't sure that I wanted to comment at all. As you and the others have said, this series is really about the emotion of the moment, and knowing that you've just finished your degree and life is about to change, it's easy to understand where that emotion comes from. Technically, they're not great, but I'm not too sure that matters all that much -perhaps you might want to think about boosting the contrast and sharpening them a bit just to lift them. And remember, I still have that chocolate in a suitcase ready for August...

oh dear! they certainly get the message of sadness across. :meh: :confused: ... I think the last one is the strongest in that respect.

:hugs:

I really appreciate all of you who commented on these :goodvibe: ...I feel like my purpose came through. it's liberating in a way to put something personal out there..."raw", "emotional", and "graphic"...never thought any of my pictures would have that kind of a description.

Giant tpf hug again for the comments (and support) :hugs:

Most reactions

Back