Splashproof housing?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by RobNZ, Apr 18, 2010.

1. RobNZ

RobNZ TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So without spending more money than my camera body and all lens combined are worth does anyone have any ideas on how I could make a splashproof, waterproof (non-submergible) housing.

I have some ideas for beach shots that would require the camera to be pretty much at ground level, this I can do now with the help of a sand bag I made, also makes an excellent platform to shoot from in general, but I want even more flexibility and to be able to shoot in/on/near water. I have the remote release sorted so thats not an issue.

I thought I could possibly use a large arcrylic food storage container but the only ones I could find were optically poor, look really good until you have a good look through, perfect for food storage but for photography not even close.

So I am still thinking a food storage container with a window cut out and using silicon sealant to seat in a window of high grade perspex/arcrylic.

End result needs to be robust, easy to get DSLR in and out of etc and ideally cheap..lol.

Any ideas tips appreciated.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Housings

Not all housings are super expensive. Check out some of the bag type underwater housings.

3. JohnnyPiper

JohnnyPiper TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah, although housings are expensive. They are worth it because you can use it underwater and go under 100ft deep. I suggest you get a Nimar housing for your camera. I don't have one yet. My uncle does he has a Canon, like me, and uses a Nimar housing. He lets me borrow it. It's pretty awesome. What I mean by that is, it's never flooded or cracked. Although I've dropped the housing quite a few times. I enjoy having a clear housing rather than an aluminum case(it's better don't get me wrong IKELITE HAS SOME ALUMINUM HOUSINGS) but I clear because I can see, just in case, if my housing floods. I DO NOT want my baby to get wet.

I've heard good things about ikelite, I'm not trying talk bobo.

and here's a link of Pipin, idk if you know him but he's a pretty awesome diver and uses nimar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyAW10VrRM8&feature=related