split image microprism focusing screens

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ErectedGryphon, Nov 7, 2009.

1. ErectedGryphon

ErectedGryphon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Has anyone tried the split image microprism focusing screens form this company? Focusing Screen

I'm really interested in the screens, but they appear to be based in Taiwan, so I'm a little iffy on dealing there. I'd like to hear from any one that has placed an order from them; did you get your order? is it any good?

Thanks!

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These look like they cut other focusing screens to size very similar to the KatzEyes screens. I can't comment on that company, but I can recommend the katzeyes screens, although they seem to be slightly more expensive.

3. ErectedGryphon

ErectedGryphon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unfortunately the katzeyes don't support the 5D at this time. :(

4. Stratman

Stratman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are these the jinfinance screens? I know of a few people that have them, and like them. sometimes they need a shim to get really accurate focus though. But, they are much less expensive than the Katzeyes..

5. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In a more general sense, how many people use screens like this? I had one on an old film Minolta, and I remember liking it. How helpful is it, considering electronic focusing and AF points? Does it have a downside?

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Downside is it can't be turned off. Upside is it assists manual focusing.

Tell you the truth, I bought it because of my manual focus lenses. I have never seen anyone focus faster or more accurately by hand on a modern camera then their built in AF. AF is truly exceptional these days.

One thing is don't expect it to be as good as your old film Minolta. I love the split prism, but tiny viewfinder of modern even full frame SLRs just doesn't compare to some of the beauties of the past like the Nikon FE2.

7. sween

sween TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that's the salient point, and all other pluses or minuses are irrelevant. Split focus screens were a big boost thirty years ago, but who needs them today? Could be it's just me, but the only manual focusing I really need is when doing macro. Outside of that, MF, while I might use it on occasion, isn't critical. Come to think of it, a couple pieces of Nikkor glass I have allow both MF and AF at the very same time. Pretty sweet.

8. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The other night I was shooting in a bar. It was very dark. I have a D-Rebel, and I was shooting with the 50mm 1.8. It was too dark to focus manually, because I couldn't really see what I was focusing (evidently, neither could the camera b/c the little red AF points weren't lighting up or beeping) and I didn't want to blind everyone with the flash strobing away in AF mode.

Would a split focus screen solve this problem, or is there a more elegant solution I'm missing?

9. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And never support the 7D, or any other Canon camera made with similar viewfinder technology. In all likelihood, that means custom focusing screens are on the way out in the Canon line. Both a good, and a bad thing.

10. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's interesting you should mention that, musicaleCA, as I was wondering about that. I got this e-mail from Rachel Katz yesterday after inquiring about screens for my 7D

Hi Ian!

Thank you very much for your inquiry. We do hope to support the Canon 7D
    model at some point, but we are not making screens for that camera yet. I
    do not have any information about when screens will be available, as we have
    not yet begun our study of that model. If you were in a position to be able
    to send your 7D in for a few days, we could take a look and let you know if
    it might be possible for us to support the 7D. Otherwise, we will certainly
    get to an examination of this camera as soon as we are able, and we will of
    course support the 7D if we can. I will keep your email on file and as soon
    as there is any news about the 7D, I will be sure to let you know. Thanks
    again for your interest in Katz Eye Optics products and if you have any
    other questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Rachael Katz
    Katz Eye Optics
    Tel. +1.413.743.2523
    Fax +1.888.251.5477
    Katz Eye™ Optics - Custom Focusing Screens

11. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To the best of my knowledge the split focus would only assist with focusing manually, and it wouldn't really light anything up, it just makes it easier because if everything is lined up it is in focus (basically).

I don't know what kind of flash you were talking about, but if you have a flash such as the 430ex or the 580ex you can turn off the flash portion and just use the focus assist. This will greatly assist in focusing ability without constantly blinding people (of course, you're still going to have a relatively slow shutter speed etc. but whatever).

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The professional Canon bodies have viewfinders that support screens which allow accurate,reliable, visual focus ascertainment. The new-fangled Transmissive LCD viewfinder system in the 7D does not show the shallow depth of field of wide-aperture lenses; the artificially brightened viewfinder of the 7D (remove the batteries and the finder goes dark) is showing an "apparent" depth of field of around f/4.5 according to the opinions of people I trust.

That means that if you're using any type of fast glass, you cannot use the viewfinder to reliably *visually* evaluate what is in-focus on the 7D. The EOS 1 series will probably not go that direction due to the need for accurate and reliable *visual* focus confirmation by advanced-level photographers who depend on the viewfinder for not only framing, but for focusing.