split toned, high contrast portrait

newrmdmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
well, here it is . . . i'm not done with it, but this is one thing i'm thinking of doing with it, input welcome!

_DSC0115asmlcolor.jpg

"Split toned" ... ?
You selectively desaturated ... no? You did some selective colouring with previously desaturated colours? Is that it? (The not all grey cuffs make me think... as does the part around his nose)

An interesting method, certainly not flattering to most. Male faces might still deal with this well - women might not be overly happy with it!?!? (A thought plus question to myself, this one is).

yes, this was from a black and white, then i applied one tone to his skin and another to everything else.

this was definatly not supposed to be flattering, in fact this guys face was not nearly that worn, then i added some age with liquify.

women definatly not happy with this technique. haha, i doubt the guy would be to happy with it either though.

thanks guys,and yeah that eye is looking pretty strange.

I think it looks really cool too, but the eye does creep me out... But good job :)

doesn't change it much, still looks pretty odd . . . but i don't mind, at full res its not soooo odd

Nice picture. The pose and the perspective is quite good!!!:thumbup:
But there is one thing that comes to mind. The hand and the ear are truncated.
Except fot that I do like your pic as well. I`d like your colorstyle, it suits to the person.

thanks . . . although i'm not sure what i think about the hand and ear being not completely in the frame.

i'm tempted to say that i want the frame filled, however i've left some space at the top right to lead the viewer on to what he is looking at.

(thats my story and i'm sticking to it)

however it was a quick snap at a party i was photographing.

thanks . . . although i'm not sure what i think about the hand and ear being not completely in the frame.

i'm tempted to say that i want the frame filled...

I think you did a good job of filling the frame. In any beginning art class the first lesson on composition would be to make sure your subject breaks at least three of the sides of the image frame.

What you've done here is a selective tone: selectively toning particular areas of the photo. A split tone is when you split the tonal range: for instance blue in the lower tones, and magenta in the middle tones.

I like this photo. Don't find it creepy at all.

cool, and thanks for correcting me, you learn somthing everyday!

Is it just my monitor or is his skin a weird purple color? if it is true I'm not sure I like it.

Most reactions

Back