Sponsored photography idea - feedback / collaborators?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by iolair, Dec 12, 2009.

1. iolair

iolair No longer a newbie, moving up!

I've had an idea for a sponsored event to raise money for charity (the charity I have in mind is Amnesty International).

I (and other photographers/enthusiasts/whatever who wanted to take part) would commit to take portrait photos of a certain number of people in a certain month. (How many? Maybe 100, or 250 or 500 depending on the individual's commitment.).

Probably the only way to rack up that quantity of photos is to go out on the streets, find an area with a nice backdrop and good lighting, and explain what I'm doing to passers-by and hope they'll pose to be portrait subjects. It's probably not going to be, and shouldn't be, easy getting that many portraits done in a month.

Friends, family and whoever else I could grab would be asked to sponsor me per individual I take a portrait of (possibly up to the agreed target limit). Even 2 cents a portrait would add up with enough portraits and sponsors would raise a good amount.

While they should definitely be portraits and not snapshots, I obviously wouldn't expect the pictures to all have the same quality as shoots where you spend an hour or two on one model. I still want them all to look as good as the constraints of time etc. will allow though.

Any feedback on this idea? Presumably to post the images afterwards online, I'd need to get every subject to sign some sort of consent? Anyone else interested in taking part?

2. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice idea plus I like AI (have worked with them and I send them money regularly) and I would help if I had the time. Right now, I don't though but here are a couple thoughts.

First, maybe do the portraits in a way that they relate to the work of IA. A simple way that comes to mind is to have the subject behind three strands of barbed wire that could be stretched easily enough between two 2x4s or light stands. It just needs to be easy enough to create so that everyone you get involved can recreate it.

Two, talk to AI and get them on board. If you have a good idea, they will support it. Not with money, they don't have enough of that, but they could have an ad or a blurb about the project in their magazine or website. Plus if they give you the right to use their logo, it helps your project in getting more people involved when you do advertisement for it

Three, have someone design a website so you can give a link when you talk about the idea like on a forum.

Four, line up some video people to shoot your event. Video adds a bit of life to a website and it doesn't need to be the best video in the world.

My experience with this kind of work is that people prefer to get involved when the project is set up. Most don't want to get involved in the planning. So, decide how it's going to work, what and how exactly to shoot, etc, etc then you'll have an easier time recruiting photographers.

If you want to talk more about this you can PM me or you can call me. I'll be happy to let you know how to call me for free. :)

Good idea and good luck.

3. iolair

Thanks for the feedback, very useful... I like the barbed wire idea, though it could be a little hazardous to have on a busy street, but (given AI's symbol) something like a lit white candle in all the portraits might give a nice cohesiveness... and finding barrier/fences to photograph people behind might help get a message across.

I've just e-mailed Amnesty's Community Fundraising team in the UK, and will wait to see what feedback I get from them.

Once I've made decisions on the details, I'll certainly set up a website - I'll need somewhere to share the photos. Fortunately for the fundraising side, Amnesty (in the UK at least) make it easy to set up a donations website: Amnesty International UK Section Charitable Trust - profile - JustGiving - with the added bonus that if I could encourage the majority of people to pay sponsorship through there, I'd have little money to handle.

I'll keep you posted :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  4. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, I thought about the barbed wire problem in public, lol. Maybe vertical bars, like a cell... The candle idea is nice but might be a pain, having to maybe relight it every few minutes.

Why the UK? Is AI not present in Spain?

When you have things set up, let me know. At the very least I can pass the word around.

I'll PM you with an e-mail address.

5. iolair

AI are present in Spain, but the concept of sponsored events doesn't really exist here. On the Spanish AI website you can make a donation but there's no notion of public fundraising. Besides, most of my family and old friends who are likely to sponsor me are in the UK.

6. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This may just me, but to be on the street to take 500 portraits at $0.02 per portrait.
    I would rather just donate the $10 and save the wear and tear on my equipment to get it setup each day.

7. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Please do, they can use all the money they get.
    https://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/s...2C/Make_a_donation/apps/ka/sd/donorcustom.asp
    :D

I agree that it seems very little and I figured it was just a figure that iolair threw our way just for the sake of the post. At the same time, I have never worked with this form of fundraising so I don't know how to judge what it could bring in.

8. iolair

Hopefully it would be, say, a hundred or more people EACH sponsoring me at 2 cents a portrait... That starts to add up.