Spontaneous Combustion?

Clawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I will be going out to shoot tomorrow. I live in Arizona, and it's insanely hot here these days. It's going to be about 115 degrees as I shoot tomorrow, and I cannot help but worry about whether or not my equipment will be okay (and I do not have access to my manuals at this time).

Does anyone have any experience shooting during these conditions? I will probably be out for a few hours. Any advice appreciated! (sorry if this is not the best place for this, but everyone always seems so helpful in this section).

I see pics from places like Iraq, or other desert locations all the time where it's hot. I wouldn't leave your stuff in direct sunlight when you're not using it, but I don't think you need to worry about it.

Yeah, if you are OK - your gear should be too.

It's to early for the monsoon season so you shouldn't have to be concerned with humidity. Stay hydrated.

Like bhop said, keep the gear out of the direct sun around mid-day as much as possible.

I used to live in Tucson and was never out shooting mid-day. I'd be on location and ready before Sun up, shut down no later than 8 am, eat breakfast, have a nice afternoon nap, back on location at 6.

Sun up in Phoenix tomorrow is 5:30 am and Sun down is 7:38 pm.

I loved the light just before Sun up and just after Sun down, just use speedlights on your subject to balance the sky.

A good way to have fun mid-day is go to Speedway Raceway and race karts indoors. It's near the airport. www.speedwayraceway.com

It's to early for the monsoon season so you shouldn't have to be concerned with humidity. Stay hydrated.

Like bhop said, keep the gear out of the direct sun around mid-day as much as possible.

I used to live in Tucson and was never out shooting mid-day. I'd be on location and ready before Sun up, shut down no later than 8 am, eat breakfast, have a nice afternoon nap, back on location at 6.

Sun up in Phoenix tomorrow is 5:30 am and Sun down is 7:38 pm.

I loved the light just before Sun up and just after Sun down, just use speedlights on your subject to balance the sky.

A good way to have fun mid-day is go to Speedway Raceway and race karts indoors. It's near the airport. www.speedwayraceway.com
Wow, thank you for taking the time to respond like this :thumbup:
I will be sure to bring my backback so I can put my camera away when I can, and I suppose staying hydrated is a good idea (it's amazing how easy it is to become dehydrated without realizing it, it's happened to me).

I have a difficult time getting any decent pics in and around Phoenix simply because it is so ridiculously hot (and kind of boring). So, living in Tucson, what did you shoot?

And the Speedway Racing is awesome, just a bit pricey to do very often ;)

and I suppose staying hydrated is a good idea

A good idea? It would be a requirement for me.

Most people don't drink enough water...

For every 50lbs you weigh, you should be drinking 1 liter of water per day.
(I know, I'm mixing metric & imperial...liters are easier for me to picture than ounces.)

And that's just your normal everyday water consumption. You need more if you're sweating a lot.

By the time you realize that you're dehydrated, it's usually already too late.

I live in Arizona, and your gear will be fine.

Most reactions

Back