Sports is hard! Football Pics. Also Tamron no good for sports.

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Whew what a tough night. I don't really watch football so I had a hard time know where the action was going to be plus it was so dark that I couldn't really freeze that action super well. So these are all high ISO.

The ball throwing guy
K52A9226 by runnah555, on Flickr

So much noise!
K52A8977 by runnah555, on Flickr

Group Hug
K52A9296 by runnah555, on Flickr

Talk to the hand
K52A9522 copy by runnah555, on Flickr

This guy was fast.
K52A9355 by runnah555, on Flickr

He was pretty fast too
K52A7391 by runnah555, on Flickr

Hangers on
K52A9041 by runnah555, on Flickr

K52A8895 copy by runnah555, on Flickr

Actually, I think you got some really nice shots there, runnah, especially considering you don't watch football. It DOES help, a LOT, to know the game you're shooting, so you know where to expect the action to be. But you did really well with some of these.

Noisy? Yeah, but you can only do so much with some of the lighting on those fields. I especially like 2,4 and 6.

Whew what a tough night. I don't really watch football so I had a hard time know where the action was going to be plus it was so dark that I couldn't really freeze that action super well. So these are all high ISO.

Talk to the hand

This guy was fast.
K52A9355 by runnah555, on Flickr

And it looks like the defensive player is JUST about to get a horse-collar tackle. Did he manage to get the kid down without that hand sliding under the pads and getting a penalty? Wait, you don't know--because you didn't care, as long as you got a pretty picture. :D

They look like a decent set to me... of course all I know about feetsball is that it's the one with the brown, pointy ball.

Someone is engaged in some tomfoolery. Nice shots Runnah man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not knowing the game makes it a lot harder to shoot. You just gotta watch what the other photogs are doing can make shooting easier. "Talk to the hand" is your best action shot and is actually quite a good shot. I tend to rate stuff on 'is it worthy of being published' and Talk to the hand would make that cut.

Gary

Thanks.

I hope to do another game during the day. I had so many well framed action shots that had way too much motion blur. I was lucky to get above 1/250 for the whole thing. I had the ISO pegged as well.

Thanks.

I hope to do another game during the day. I had so many well framed action shots that had way too much motion blur. I was lucky to get above 1/250 for the whole thing. I had the ISO pegged as well.
Welcome to the world of high school night games. Remember to shoot wide open for the day game, otherwise you'll get a lot of distracting background detail.

Gary

Thanks.

Welcome to the world of high school night games. Remember to shoot wide open for the day game, otherwise you'll get a lot of distracting background detail.

Gary

Gary, dude--f/5.6 and f/6.3 ARE wide-open on that Tanmzooka!!! lol. I thought runnah did a pretty good job, considering that he was stuck in that f/5.6~f/6.3 zone...lucky he was able to get decent images at ISO 8,000 and ISO 10,000. I looked at some of the EXIF info...slow shutter speeds like 1/320 and 1/250, which is not that deleterious **if** the action is coming right toward the camera position, but it otherwise pretty much a pan-and-pray deal. The 5D-III delivered pretty clean shots at High ISO and it looks like decent focusing with a pokey lens at night under the lights.

Runnah, I think you managed to get some good frames, even though the lens used was working against you in most ways.

... of course all I know about feetsball is that it's the one with the brown, pointy ball.

Unless you're employing the metric system as a matter of course, then football uses a round ball and is actually played with the FEET... which is exactly EVERYWHERE except the US. (and probably some parts of Canadia.)

[sarcasm] How can the rest of the world be so backwards? [/sarcasm]

:lol:

And to the OP, Nice pics under the circumstances... You're right though. That lens is crap. You should send it to me and I will deal with it accordingly. I will PM you my address for shipping purposes. If it's for a Canon, you will need to send a FX body along with it... I'm a Nikon guy.

Gary, dude--f/5.6 and f/6.3 ARE wide-open on that Tanmzooka!!! lol. I thought runnah did a pretty good job, considering that he was stuck in that f/5.6~f/6.3 zone...lucky he was able to get decent images at ISO 8,000 and ISO 10,000. I looked at some of the EXIF info...slow shutter speeds like 1/320 and 1/250, which is not that deleterious **if** the action is coming right toward the camera position, but it otherwise pretty much a pan-and-pray deal. The 5D-III delivered pretty clean shots at High ISO and it looks like decent focusing with a pokey lens at night under the lights.

Runnah, I think you managed to get some good frames, even though the lens used was working against you in most ways.

Thanks. It was a struggle. Certainly learned the limits of the lens and camera. I think the lens is great when it have enough light to work properly but there is a reason it's cheap and the big canon lenses push $10k.

Good job on these, the only thing I would suggest is a tighter crop on some of them. There is always so much going on during every football game, and it doesn't always translate into great images, nothing wrong with the content in this series though.

Thanks. It was a struggle. Certainly learned the limits of the lens and camera. I think the lens is great when it have enough light to work properly but there is a reason it's cheap and the big canon lenses push $10k.

One of the reasons this lens is so remarkable in the first place is that you can get a shot that's good enough to imagine how much better a $10k lens might have been.

Looks like a pretty solid effort to me, considering you're not a big fan of the game.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back