Sports lens question

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was given the oppurtunity to be my highschool's sports photographer and I need a longer zoom lens. My dad has offered to buy me a new lens, but he wants to get me the cheaper option.

Canon 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS = $280
or
100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM = $280

But I know that you pay what you get for and these are cheap. They get soft as you get zoomed in and they dont have a solid Aperture.

I would prefer to get the 70-200 f/4 L non-IS because I know L's are unbelievable. Great quality, build, but he wont understand that.

Can you guys give me good reasons why he should get it for me. I really would like it, but it might end in me paying a portion.

Thanks

I know this is a totally crazy angle but you may show him what the used L glass in good shape sells for....not too far from what you paid. If you consider what percentage of the new price you could get for those cheap lenses you wont buy one.

L lenses are a decent investment, of course you cant make money appear when it just aint there.

Freedbaby

I WOULD reccomend getting the L glass if you can swing it or talk your dad into it.

To clarify what I was saying I will put it this way. I see L glass sell used for very close to the price that you can buy a new one for all the time...about 80-85 cents on the dollar. The other lenses I think you would be lucky to get 30-50 cents on the dollar for used.

Of course I failed to mention image quality and all of those things that others will chime in and add. I was just trying to add another angle that many seem to not consider.

Freedbaby

You might consider Sigma EX glass -- I love my 100-300 f4 and it is reasonably priced (of course I'd love an f2.8, but ... well ... dream on ... )

As for resale value ... if you buy L glass, the resale value doesn't mean much because you probably won't resell it ...

I don't really think f5.6 is going to cut it for high school sports. I'm on staff at my school and believe me, lighting in gyms and on football fields is usually a nightmare. You need to be looking into fast glass, like f2.8. Yes, it is a lot more expensive, but I doubt you'd get anywhere close to your money's worth with the two lenses listed above. I use a Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 and I would highly recommend it. It sells for $800 new, but you could probably find one used somewhere because I know a lot of people have them.

A f5.6 lens will cut it for sports like gold and track/cross country, but for the big sports like basketball and football, you really, really need the extra two stops. Would you rather shoot at 1/50 or 1/200?

Also, I see you have a lens with IS listed, which I wouldn't suggest if you are trying to get a lens on a budget. Yes, IS is really handy to have, but I think the speed of the glass is much more important in this case in my opinion. I would definitely recommend shooting with a monopod though.

Most reactions

Back