Sports lens

NeedForSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With snowboaring/skiboarding season underway I am very interested in getting many action shots on the slopes and terrain parks. I haven't been out to the slopes yet with my camera and the only lens I have now that I would be able to use is the Sigma 28-105mm f/3.8-5.6 UC-III Aspherical IF that came with my Canon 30d. The f/3.8 seems pretty decent for the relatively bright white snowscapes but I don't have any other experiences with lenses to compare image quality and AF speed. This lens is very cheap so I'm guessing that neither are top notch.

I have about $500 to get a new or used lens. Yes.. I would love the EF f/2.8 70-200 USM lens or even the f/4.0 but that cost is just out of the question. Help me out here please.

I will also use this lens for other sports such as soccer, paintball, baseball, and any other fast moving shots..

Keep saving 'til you can buy the 70 - 200 2.8; anything else will be a compromise that you will regret.

If you already have $500, then I agree with tirediron. There's no way I'd spend that only to have to start saving again to get the best. Perhaps all you'd ever need is the f/4, and that's not that far off a price, but the 70-200 f/2.8 is THE sports lens. At least, the sports zoom lens. Then the fun starts.....

Let me correct this: I will have $500. Right now all my money is going to new skiboards and bindings and Christmas presents for the family. By the time I had the money to buy the 70 - 200 f/2.8 it would be the end of the snow season here and I wouldn't get any shots. I am still considering doing that but what other less expensive options do I have?

If you're going to be shooting outdoors, then the 70-200/4 is probably going to be fine, or you might take a look at the 200/2.8L, it's fairly inexpensive, right around the same price as the f/4 zoom.

Most reactions

Back